Need help optimizing

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I think I've hit a point in my tank where its mature enough to see whats what and I feel like I might be at a point where my tanks overall health is being limited by the equipment being used. Heres what I have so far.

44gal pentagon Tank rimmed.
No sump.
2 small power heads
Eheim canister filter
Red sea Led90
Tank age is about 8 months. Mixed reef.

With the current gear, I have had sub par coral growth but fish thrive (only a few of my corals actually show growth). I'm fairly certain I've dialed in the lighting schedule and intensity. But I realize I'm unable to really provide stability outside of regular water changes. I also have hair algae issues starting to arise even though I do not let my nitrates exceed 10ppm (perhaps its the phos).

Is there anyway I can upgrade this type of tank with it being rimmed and sumpless? Or am I limited because of the type of tank I have? I've considered upgrading to an AIO, getting a sump and a skimmer. Just trying to do better. I'm open to suggestions or perhaps a redirection of my train of thought if you think it's something else.

Thanks in advance!

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small AIO and was floating the idea of upgrading it with a canister filter, overflow, sump etc.. but I was told it's not worth it because you risk emptying your tank etc so I'm not sure an AIO is better for that situation as the backs can only fit so much.

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I have to drill my tank? Its tempered glass so I don't think I can without cracking it.
No need to drill.

OP
OP
MohrReefs

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to drill.
Thanks! Now just need to find a sump that will fit down under the tank!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back