need help planning ahead...

Prozium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so as soon as my taxes come in I am going to buy a 90g-150g tank for my lion fish and foxface. I am trying to find some good tank mates, but reading the spec's on fish (like on liveaquaria.com) most of the biger fish say not reef compatible...I'm starting to think it is mostly because they will pick at or eat snails, shrimp, etc.. I dont care about that stuff. I want to keep coral and have my fish + more...what do I get?

(BTW I have some zoa's in with them now and the foxface has not touched them yet.:bigsmile:)

this is one I am looking at Dragon Wrasse, I also like triggers, tangs, and oviously wrasses. would this stuff be ok? I just need fish that will not be harassed by the lionfish.

Ugly Dog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do triggers if you want to keep the lionfish, I've seen videos of triggers harassing and biting the spines off of lions. According to liveaquaria dragon wrasses won't eat corals but they tend to rearrange stuff when they get larger. Liveaquaria doe have a wrasses-reef safe section to can check out. Tangs would be safe for a reef, anthias might be a good choice too, alot depends on the size of your lionfish. Generally if it can fit in the mouth, it might end up there. Hope that helps!

OP
OP
Prozium

Prozium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the reply.

yes some of the reef safe wrasses would be ok for now, but I would like to plan for the safety of the fish when my lionfish is full sized (its a Volitan Lionfish can get to 15" long)

about the triggers...dang I was hoping to get 1 or 2..

I think I might go for a Lyretail Wrasse, Banana Wrasse, Red Coris Wrasse, Goldbar Wrasse, and a tang or 2 like a sailfin and a blue tang...IDK just a thought. if I do get all that what order should I add them?

if I aim for all of that I will make sure I get a 140g-180g btw..

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heard the same thing about Triggers and Lionfish.
I've always liked the Red Coris Wrasse, and Tangs should be ok. Dragon Wrasse is nice, but is that a challenge to keep? Need some sand for any of those Wrasse's.
I believe your correct on the not reef-safe assessment for those fishes - inverts.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back