Need help plumbing drain line for in-wall aquarium

jtwatkins22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I’m currently installing an aquarium in my wall and need some help with the plumbing as I am stuck. Hopefully I have some fellow reefers out there that would like to take part on this journey with me because I could sure use some wisdom.

I have a 220 gallon custom tank drilled at one end to give me 3 viewing sides. I have a 40 gallon diy sump filter and will be setting this up for fresh water with the intentions to convert to salt in several years.

I will be housing a Fly River turtle in this tank so will need to do more water changes than what you might expect with a typical fish aquarium and this is where the problem is. Since I will be doing a lot of water changes I would like to avoid running a bunch of hoses every time (I also have 3 small kids). Since my tank location is not near a sewage line I have 2 options. Option #1- Chip up some floor to access sewage line or option #2- run a new sewage/drain line up 8 feet and over to connect to original sewage line.

I planned to do option #2, but not sure if this will work since it doesn’t look like many other people have done this before or posted about it. So, I am reaching out to see if you have any suggestions or if anyone has experience with something similar to this.

I was planning to use a strong external pump that would give me enough head pressure to suck water out of tank, through the pump, up 8 feet into ceiling and over to sewer line. Obviously I would need to close the return lines while doing this, but would this work or is there a better way to go about without ripping up more tile and concrete? Thanks so much for any suggestions and I will be sure to update everyone with the progress.

82AF69FA-FA61-42A6-8728-E33415A9E048.jpeg A1F82FF2-ACB2-4B5A-891E-4F5B50592F3E.jpeg 8251D366-EB5C-482B-A64E-8B3893EC6C1C.jpeg

OP
OP
J

jtwatkins22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response! So if you look at the 2nd picture notice the yellow line I marked. This is the original sewage pipe and the red is the drain line that I taped into with. So what I’m proposing is coming out of tank and pushed up 8 feet and over into the sewage pipe. Hope this makes sense and I can show more pictures if needed.

OP
OP
J

jtwatkins22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response! So if you look at the 2nd picture notice the yellow line I marked. This is the original sewage pipe and the red is the drain line that I taped into with. So what I’m proposing is coming out of tank and pushed up 8 feet and over into the sewage pipe. Hope this makes sense and I can show more pictures if needed.
But yes they are both on the same floor

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance there is a laundry sink on this level behind the tank wall?

OP
OP
J

jtwatkins22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance there is a laundry sink on this level behind the tank wall?
No plumbing on the tank wall. Also no crawl space under house so either I go up the wall and over to the sink/sewage drain or chip up a bunch of tile and concrete floor to pitch down to sewage drain.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you locate the tank at the end of the island next to the drain line? If that is out of the question I would just use buckets for water changes. Other options are just too much work for this lazy reefer.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back