NEED HELP QUICK: TANK ABOUT TO OVERFLOW!!

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was working before, and you changed nothing, then there is a clog. If no clog, you must have changed something. Is your return pump DC? Did you increase its flow?
Yes, it was working all along, ~2 years, and have changed "zero" items. I'm trying to determine if a clog in the stand pipe tonight. About to go take it out now.
My return pump is a regular Eheim 1260 or 1262.

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a valve on the drain that returns to the sump? Stuff can get lodged in those.
No valve on the drain, and it's relatively straight into the sump as you can see in the picture. It's flexible tubing without any hard bends or 90 degree bends, etc.

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This strainer elbow on the stand pipe was pretty clogged up...I hope this was it! Replacing and getting it started again so we’ll see!

Attachments

• 0A799833-8155-471C-BE2F-A55FB78B1D69.jpeg
    0A799833-8155-471C-BE2F-A55FB78B1D69.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 88ABDCA9-BF89-48D5-9505-E1CED53308D2.jpeg
    88ABDCA9-BF89-48D5-9505-E1CED53308D2.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 61E8D3A7-24B9-41F2-9A3B-54CCA47FD738.jpeg
    61E8D3A7-24B9-41F2-9A3B-54CCA47FD738.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 5B262EAF-6432-476A-A8D8-4F8234A88BE6.jpeg
    5B262EAF-6432-476A-A8D8-4F8234A88BE6.jpeg
    235 KB · Views: 48

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This strainer elbow on the stand pipe was pretty clogged up...I hope this was it! Replacing and getting it started again so we’ll see!
That's probably it. I don't use strainers for that exact reason.

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was the strainer that was gunked up. What a simple yet important thing to check once in awhile. My tank is probably 1.5-2 years old and I’ve never checked it or had this issue before. I’m embarrassed that it took me this long and that I didn’t think of it before almost pulling apart more of my plumbing to try and find what was clogged.
Anyway, hope this thread helps someone besides me!
Pic shows it’s all good now.
Thanks everyone for the help!

82013BD6-45DD-4477-8FAC-480D2980AE39.jpeg

Last edited:

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you use, can you provide pics and details? Thanks-
I have a different type of drain system (beananimal). But I would remove the strainer part and just use an elbow for your setup.

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a different type of drain system (beananimal). But I would remove the strainer part and just use an elbow for your setup.
Not sure I’d want to do that, since the gunk I just cleaned off of it would them be headed into my plumbing. If it got caught by my filter socks I guess that would be ok, but if it somehow clogged up my drain line that wouldn’t be good either.

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I’d want to do that, since the gunk I just cleaned off of it would them be headed into my plumbing. If it got caught by my filter socks I guess that would be ok, but if it somehow clogged up my drain line that wouldn’t be good either.
If it could clog the line, it would clog the strainer.... But that type of gunk doesn't clog the line IME.

Do you have a controller?

In my previous systems that didn't have backup drains I always had a high water float switch to turn off return pump in case of a drain issue.

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it could clog the line, it would clog the strainer.... But that type of gunk doesn't clog the line IME.

Do you have a controller?

In my previous systems that didn't have backup drains I always had a high water float switch to turn off return pump in case of a drain issue.
No controller...this has made me rethink some things now. I was away since Thur night and just happened to come home tonight and notice this. Another 10-20 min later and I’m sure I would have had a catastrophe all over our 1st floor wood floors dripping down into our finished basement ceiling. I’ve got to figure something else out now!

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone advise with a web link/s to high level sensors and how that's hooked up to turn off the return/circulating pump? I'm trying to prevent an overflow. It has been 7 mo's and tonight the same thing happened again. I never did anything to change my set up, just telling myself I would keep a close eye on it, which I did. But I really would like to have a more bullet-proof way to prevent an overflow. Thanks all for any help on this.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not like you want the return to be off all night or something anyways. Another thing to malfunction.

Maybe it’s time to redo the plumbing?

I have a 80g deep blue and that overflow looks identical. I did the two holes both as drains. A smaller one with a gate valve to adjust drain speed and the second hole is a larger drain as an emergency drain. I have water flowing down that one as just a trickle. This makes the overflow silent. I ran the return as a elbow over the back.

Nothing has ever clogged the main drain even with the valve partially closed in the years it is been up but if it ever did… that’s what the emergency drain is for.

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here this may explain what I did

Return over top and connects to the nozzle.

103F349D-ECBC-48BB-BCE8-678AD4C6CCC1.jpeg

Both holes as drains… small with gate valve as adjustable main drain and larger pipe for emergency drain. Flows into filter cup.

88B41555-CA81-49FF-8800-9413C50096C4.jpeg

Ideally you would have 3 holes drilled in the overflow so you could have two drains and one return but many manufacturers tanks do not come this way. Return over the top is a small price to pay.

It is called a herbie overflow. I don’t use a strainer but you could since you have an emergency drain without a strainer if it gets clogged.

Herbie-1.jpg

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, I high recommend a gate valve over a ball valve. It’s worth the extra cost. Much finer adjustment and doesn’t get stuck or hard to turn over time. Don’t give yourself more headaches. It’s not worth the money saved, trust me.

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not like you want the return to be off all night or something anyways. Another thing to malfunction.

Maybe it’s time to redo the plumbing?

I have a 80g deep blue and that overflow looks identical. I did the two holes both as drains. A smaller one with a gate valve to adjust drain speed and the second hole is a larger drain as an emergency drain. I have water flowing down that one as just a trickle. This makes the overflow silent. I ran the return as a elbow over the back.

Nothing has ever clogged the main drain even with the valve partially closed in the years it is been up but if it ever did… that’s what the emergency drain is for.
Unfortunately I can’t run my return external from the stand and tank up over the edge due to my close configuration with my tank in the corner close to the wall…so can’t double-up my drains.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I can’t run my return external from the stand and tank up over the edge due to my close configuration with my tank in the corner close to the wall…so can’t double-up my drains.

I would personally get out the rubbermaids and drain the tank and move it forward. I like long term fixes over bandaids :/

The return can come over the other side too if there is room there. Doesn’t matter where it returns at.

Billys_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an apex? What I did for mine for the extra security was to install a float switch so that if the water level rises in my display tank then it'll trigger my return pump to turn off.

You can also buy a smart level sensor such as one from autoaqua and plug your return pump in there. If the water level rises up, then it'll shut down the return pump.

Back