Need help removing BTAs from fixed rock work

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see, while I started with one, those have multiplied into 6 over 18 months. I need to dislodge at least 4 of them, ideally all of them so I can just keep one. They are stinging all the corals around them. Rock work weights 100+ pounds, cannot move it. Here you see me blasting 2 of them with a powerhead. They have shrunk up but seem to be enjoying it.

Any other ideas?

IMG_6343.jpg
IMG_6342.jpg
IMG_6339.jpg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move the corals and leave the Nems. Removing Nems attached to rock work can be tricky as you can damage the foot when doing so.

Nems will move around based on flow and lighting. They take up residence in a spot because the conditions are what they like.

If you must move them, point a powerhead directly at them. This will encourage them to move out of the harsh flow of the power head, presenting an opportunity to remove them.

OP
OP
artieg1

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what my post is about. I am pointing the powerhead directly at them, and they seem to not care, even though they've shrunk up. So looking to see if I just leave that way overnight until they get sick of it. How long before they pack up? And any other suggestions? I've heard about ice, but never had luck with that, either.

jwilliams860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That stinks you cant move the rocks... I had the same issue, one BTA turned into about 18, luckily my rock work is not glued together. I would remove a piece of rock that had them on it and put it in a bucket of water from the tank and the next day they would be almost completely loose and I could remove them from the rock, I have done it this way for about 20+ clones at this point.

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way I’ve had luck is to wait until they start to move. I think that’s why facing the powerhead at them is advised. When they move you can see their foot inflate. This is best time to start pulling foot from rock work. Slowly massage and peel up foot on all sides. It does take patience and some time.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back