Need help selecting a light for my sons nano

MoeManTheSnowMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son wants to set up a tank I have floating around.

It's: 15x10x18 (LxWxH) I think it's a 13 gallon

When I had it set up years ago the light was too big & hung over the sides. Just didn't look right.

Any suggestions on what light to use would be much appreciated...

1.0reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small DIY led (6-12 leds) would be a great option, a nanobox or razor nano would be very nice as well.

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a dm36e par38 bulb from reef radiance on my ten gallon. I like it a lot. Comes with a remote to dim it. I bought a gooseneck to hold it from reefbreeders.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a dm36e par38 bulb from reef radiance on my ten gallon. I like it a lot. Comes with a remote to dim it. I bought a gooseneck to hold it from reefbreeders.

This is what I would go with as well.

What do you plan on keeping in the tank?

OP
OP
MoeManTheSnowMan

MoeManTheSnowMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, I'd like to thanks you guys for taking the time to respond to my thread. It's much appreciated! I really wanted to get a T5 set up, but the smallest one that was worth buying was 24 inches & would have looked awfull over the tank. So it looks like we shall be stepping into the LED world for the first time..

Aqua illuminations nano would be realy cool

That would be really cool. A bit out of our budget for such a small tank. Also my son is not allowed to have a better light than dad over his tank :)

A small DIY led (6-12 leds) would be a great option, a nanobox or razor nano would be very nice as well.

How much would a DIY set up cost me? Do you build these for people? I have never had LED before...

Thanks for all the links boss!!! Very helpfull. I was looking at the 150 watt lights for my 20 gallon, but decided to go T5. I think it would be a bit of over kill for a 13 gallon though.

I think this is the route we are going to go. Thanks so much for the advice! I did a little home work on these & noticed that some of them you can dim. Where is the best place to buy one? Are some better than others? Should I stay away from certain ones?

This is what I would go with as well.

What do you plan on keeping in the tank?

My son can keep what he wants or can afford. But I am going to give him my 2 cents about it. I'm thinking he should do a zoanthid/mushroom/chalice mix with a fish or two.

Again folks, thanks for the input!

Last edited:

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine from reef radiance. I can post a video of it and the dimming by remote control.

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't post a video from my phone, but I'll be able to from my computer soon. I have the full spectrum par38, they also have one just blue and white if that's the look you like.

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[video=youtube;bzPwXjAUfTs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzPwXjAUfTs[/video]

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 20" l 10" w 12" h

I have the gooseneck mounted on a ledge I added to my stand. You could mount it on the tank or higher and a ledge type deal for a taller tank. I doubt I'm going to have to run my par38 any higher than 60 percent. Won't really know until I get some sps frags to try out.

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pics of the stand build the show how I mounted the gooseneck if you want to see them. Just let me know

Back