Need Help Tang Police

Syed123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Op. For a tank that size I would go with a dwarf angel with the risk they may bother corals. A dwarf angel is active like a tang but not as aggressive. Tangs are jerks. In a small tank the aggressiveness will amplify plus they need more space to roam. If you are busy cause of work and want the least amount of maintainance of the tank, a tang will make that hard. They are bioload heavy.

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn't put any tang in a tank under 6 ft long. We're currently building a 6-ft long 180g (slowly) and my wife wants a blue tang. I'm even questioning our tank size for that particular fish.

OP
OP
J

JWHITESP88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't plan for a tank in your new house, shame on you. When we bought our house that was my first item on my list was were would the 6' tank go.

haha I planned for a tank, just not a 6' tank.

[QUOTE=" Have you looked into a dwarf or pygmy angelfish? They are a gamble when you have coral but I've seen people keep them with little to no issues.[/QUOTE]

I have, I had a coral beauty in my last tank, such a nice fish.

Thank you all for your generous replies. I think for now, i will stick with the 45 and just do something different with the fish selection. Maybe one day I will commit to a larger tank ( I have until Nov/Dec to talk myself out of this decision) . Any other center piece fish suggestions?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are currently building a house and I am already getting a list together for the new tank build. My old tank was a deep blue 57 and while I liked the tank, I hated the fact that I couldn't house a tang comfortably. I have been looking at new tanks and I keep coming back to the deep blue 45 gal rimless frag tank. I love the look and dimensions but am worried that I will be faced with the same dilemma as before, not enough space for a tang. the 45 gal is 48'' x 18'' x 12''. Will this tank be long enough to house a tang and the fish be happy? Any thoughts on this tank or something of similar size that would work for a tang would be awesome. I work shift work so I am trying not to go very big to keep my maintenance manageable working rotating shifts.

A 45 gallon isn't suited for really any kind of tang. I would personally say 75 gallon minimum for the smaller bristletooth varieties. If you are dead set on it though then stick with a Tomini as they are the smallest and aren't as much of an open water swimmer as most of the other tangs are. I agree though that a dwarf or pygmy angel would be best if you want a similar shape and look that will work in your tank. The other problem is that the smaller tangs tend to be pretty dull/drab in coloration in the long run, whereas the dwarf/pygmy angels can be stunning.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

[QUOTE=" Have you looked into a dwarf or pygmy angelfish? They are a gamble when you have coral but I've seen people keep them with little to no issues.

Thank you all for your generous replies. I think for now, i will stick with the 45 and just do something different with the fish selection. Maybe one day I will commit to a larger tank ( I have until Nov/Dec to talk myself out of this decision) . Any other center piece fish suggestions?[/QUOTE]
What are you looking for in color? I've always thought Vanderbilt chromis were unique.
20180822_143900.jpg

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

[QUOTE=" Have you looked into a dwarf or pygmy angelfish? They are a gamble when you have coral but I've seen people keep them with little to no issues.

Thank you all for your generous replies. I think for now, i will stick with the 45 and just do something different with the fish selection. Maybe one day I will commit to a larger tank ( I have until Nov/Dec to talk myself out of this decision) . Any other center piece fish suggestions?[/QUOTE]

I have a Coral Beauty in my 90 gallon and love it. Had a Flame Angel in a much smaller tank and it was a complete jerk. It's a case by case basis (as all fish are individuals), but IMHO the Coral Beauty is probably the best overall bet for dwarf angels.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for a centerpiece fish? The dwarf angel could work for that size of tank, but I would look into Flasher Wrasses. Chromis are schooling fish but tend to pick each other off. The Flasher Wrasse is very active and has some pretty intense coloration:

http://aquarium-fish.liveaquaria.com/search?w=Flasher Wrasse

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 12in depth, I would honestly avoid wrasses as well. Maybe a six line,maybe.

Watching wrasses, they hit the sand when spooked and hit the ceiling eventually. The quick vertical streak is part of the “dance. ”

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn't put any tang in a tank under 6 ft long. We're currently building a 6-ft long 180g (slowly) and my wife wants a blue tang. I'm even questioning our tank size for that particular fish.

I agree, but i think flow makes up a big part if it as well they come from very high flow. When keeping tangs its one of the first things i keep in mind. My powder blue and hippo have crashing flow in a 6 foot tank. But i made sure it was quite wide as well 3 feet. I added a euro brace and keep the water level a couple inches under the rim for nothing to splash out. No sand of course.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on the flow being important.

Assuming that he’s gonna have a sand bed, knowing the tank is rimless, personally buying a lid ruins the rimless esthetic.

Totally opinion here. But I’d still avoid them.

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random question here as i was reading along. Does a large amount of surface flow help prevent fish from jumping through? I think i might have heard that somewhere?

Yes I have heard that as well and I beleive it does, i have an open top and never lost an anthias or wrasse

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random question here as i was reading along. Does a large amount of surface flow help prevent fish from jumping through? I think i might have heard that somewhere?
In theory but by no means a cure all. We had a lot of surface flow with the gyres and still couldn't keep a yellow coris unfortunately.

U

User1

View Badges
Tank size is too small for a tang regardless of size. Heck, it is pushing the limits for a pygmy angel. I had a 40 breeder with a coral beauty and it was not enough room. Only reason why it was added was because I was upgrading it to a 210 gallon within a month. It isn't just the tank size but the rock and coral. Coral also grows which limits space. Smaller tanks just mean you have to align fish to meet the short and long term coral growth. Also factor in competing food. Blenny algae, bristletooth, algae, etc. You get the idea.

To those commenting on the wife comment. It is interesting that some jumped the gun thinking it was a serious question and not one of posting in jest. I guess sure, they could have left off wife and just said someone complain but sterotype that we are is it a male dominated hobby? I don't know but when I read it I just laughed and moved on. There are some hobbies that our other half may not like, or we of theirs, and tolerate it for happy equality and life. I really don't think there was any disrepsect - just more of a zinger or wise crack. Anyway - off my soap box.

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I think I will just forfeit the idea of the tang. I don't want to keep a fish to suffer in a tank that is not adequate. A smaller tank is what fits my lifestyle right now and that's ok, there are other great fish options out there to pursue.
Honestly I think the only option here is it figure in a bigger tank on your home build. :D

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In theory but by no means a cure all. We had a lot of surface flow with the gyres and still couldn't keep a yellow coris unfortunately.

I think a big thing is lights as well. I noticed that lights turning on at once or off stress fish out a lot, I used sunrise/sunset and I think its a big influencer as well

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 59 29.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 23 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 33.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back