Tangs and other Live Stock

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place. I have a 170 Gallon Tank. I have the following Fish Stocked:

original stock:

1 - Blue Hippo Tang
1 - Mimic Tang
1 - Sailfin Tang
1 - Starry Blennie
1 - 6 Line Wrasse
3 - Chromis
2 - Clown Fish (Mated)

I have a Clean Up Crew

Question: Can I add:

1 Kole Tang
1 Mandarin Goby
2 Clown Fish - would this be dangerous?

Or Should I stick with my original stock population and be happy until I get a larger tank (280 Gal Maybe)? Any Feedback would be Appreciated

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the Kole tang should be fine to add just use mirrors or acclimation boxes for a few days. See you have a six line wrasse already. They're not very big but can be super aggressive once they are established and I would be concerned about that six line with a small slow moving fish like a mandarin. As far as the clowns go can’t say for sure but it’s a gamble due to you already having an established pair in the tank.

Upvote 0

SaltEverywhere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can share my experience with adding clowns, if it helps. I had a pair of clowns, one died, and the other set up shop on one end of my 4 foot long 150 gallon tank. A friend left the hobby and gave me a mated pair that lived in a leather coral. I asked that same question on the forums and the clown experts said that if they were that far apart in that size tank, they would probably fight for awhile and then settle in. I put the new ones on the opposite side of the tank, and that's exactly what happened. They did their territory dances and threats and bluff charges but no one died. Then peace for about a year. Then they started to get along and now about 5 years later all three of them hang out and lay eggs.
To summarize, it is indeed risky, but if they are far apart in your 170 gallon tank, that's probably enough room for two separate territories.

Upvote 0

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place. I have a 170 Gallon Tank. I have the following Fish Stocked:

original stock:

1 - Blue Hippo Tang
1 - Mimic Tang
1 - Sailfin Tang
1 - Starry Blennie
1 - 6 Line Wrasse
3 - Chromis
2 - Clown Fish (Mated)

I have a Clean Up Crew

Question: Can I add:

1 Kole Tang
1 Mandarin Goby
2 Clown Fish - would this be dangerous?

Or Should I stick with my original stock population and be happy until I get a larger tank (280 Gal Maybe)? Any Feedback would be Appreciated
Definitely yes on the kole, try to find one that is either bigger than the ones you have or a lot smaller so they don’t feel threatened.

I would worry about the goby with tangs and the 6 line, they’re slow, sweet fish.

The clown fish are a gamble. If you can create very different areas for them at two opposite ends of the tank they may be okay but still, a gamble.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back