Need help with Acro - New to SPS!

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6F21B2DE-D58A-43CF-9894-61083858DF22.png
What is the grey area around the base of the stem? New growth? Encrusting? This is my first SPS frag!!! He’s been in the tank for about 2 months now. (and I’m not talking about the glue)

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That area is dying/dead. How long has it been like that? What kind of flow is it getting and how old is your tank? I don’t see any polyp extension, does it normally show some?

OP
OP
UCF Alum

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is about 8 months old. Frag is about 6 inches off the sand in a 40 gallon under a Radion xr15 running about 60%. That area of the tank has a very minimal amount of flow. Should I move him up?
Also, his polyps have not been out in quite awhile.

I’m not concerned with water quality.
Alk 8.5
Cal 435
Mag 1450

THANKS!!

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely more flow. Also, where are your Nitrates and Phosphates?
SPS need a little of both, but not a ton of either.
Although I generally agree with more light, be careful. Running the correct spectrum at a moderate intensity as opposed to blasting your coral with the wrong color balance is better. Your coral doesn't look super happy, and major changes all at once will do more harm than good.
A definite increase in flow will get better results than a big increase in light at this point.

OP
OP
UCF Alum

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are 10. I get my stuff from world wide coral in Orlando and they run their tanks 10-15ppm. Per Hanna checker, phosphates are 0. Tank is kept clean and I do water changes religiously. At this point I guess I will move him up into more light and flow.

Will the base of the stem recoup?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are 10. I get my stuff from world wide coral in Orlando and they run their tanks 10-15ppm. Per Hanna checker, phosphates are 0. Tank is kept clean and I do water changes religiously. At this point I guess I will move him up into more light and flow.

Will the base of the stem recoup?
Given time, yes, the coral can re-incrust.
As far as your phosphates though, you need to have a little. Zero, unless you are running an Ultra Low Nutrient System (ULNS), you need to have a bit. Where you keep your Nitrates, I would suggest keeping your Phosphates about .03-.05. It's all about Ballance.

Peng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grey part is dead skeleton. More flow. If your LPS are doing well I’ll wouldnt worry

markalot

Comic Relief
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How stable is your Alk? Acros need very stable Alk, they can be a pain especially when first purchased as they tend to be in poor health and need extra stable conditions to recover.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back