Need help with alk

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I’ve been dosing kalk hourly as top off as a means to dose cal and alk as well as help boost my ph. Everything is looking great. However alk is steady at 7dkh and
can’t increase kalk as it is equal to my evaporation. I know that 7 dkh is NSW level but as my sps grow I figure I will need to supplement cal and alk, at least that’s what I’ve come to understand. I have the bionic two part and have been dosing 5ml three times a day for the last three days. I saw a slight increase in alk to 7.25 dkh today. It may have been tester error considering it’s so minimal but safe to say 7 to 7.25. I figured I’d try to raise and maintain it at 8dkh so that if I see a decrease in alk in the future as the corals grow, I could simply adjust the two part. Is this the right approach? I am concerned I will mess up my tanks current state as everything looks great and is steadily growing. I have a Red Sea reefer 350 so about a water volume of (minus rocks) 80 gallons. Any input would be appreciated and sorry for the long post.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I’ve been dosing kalk hourly as top off as a means to dose cal and alk as well as help boost my ph. Everything is looking great. However alk is steady at 7dkh and
can’t increase kalk as it is equal to my evaporation. I know that 7 dkh is NSW level but as my sps grow I figure I will need to supplement cal and alk, at least that’s what I’ve come to understand. I have the bionic two part and have been dosing 5ml three times a day for the last three days. I saw a slight increase in alk to 7.25 dkh today. It may have been tester error considering it’s so minimal but safe to say 7 to 7.25. I figured I’d try to raise and maintain it at 8dkh so that if I see a decrease in alk in the future as the corals grow, I could simply adjust the two part. Is this the right approach? I am concerned I will mess up my tanks current state as everything looks great and is steadily growing. I have a Red Sea reefer 350 so about a water volume of (minus rocks) 80 gallons. Any input would be appreciated and sorry for the long post.

You can dose alkalinity independent of calcium.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think the approach you are taking is fine.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back