Need help with an ugly stage

Generallyfunperson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been running for a few months over a year, and over the past few weeks ive been having an algae issue. Like really bad, it's to the point where the algae has covered up all sides of the tank and when i clear it out, it's back within a day or so.

I have 2 possible explanations for this.

1. My step dad made me rinse out the skinmer [not just the media the whole thing] and i think that may have reset the cycling process and now ive re-entered this ugly stage
Or
2. I recently got a new light that is much stronger than my old one [the new one is a nicrew marine LED light 30"-36"]

I need help on what to do, along with a potential reason.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been running for a few months over a year, and over the past few weeks ive been having an algae issue. Like really bad, it's to the point where the algae has covered up all sides of the tank and when i clear it out, it's back within a day or so.

I have 2 possible explanations for this.

1. My step dad made me rinse out the skinmer [not just the media the whole thing] and i think that may have reset the cycling process and now ive re-entered this ugly stage
Or
2. I recently got a new light that is much stronger than my old one [the new one is a nicrew marine LED light 30"-36"]

I need help on what to do, along with a potential reason.
If you've been running the whole time with a non photosynthetic light, then the uglies are just starting. Skimmer likely has nothing to do with it. Current parameters? Tank size and clean up crew?

Upvote 0

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More information required. I looked for a tank thread but couldn’t find your set up. Briefly describe your filtration, tank size and live stock in fish and coral. I noted an upgraded light. How recent?

Pictures with white light would help. Also describe export mechanisms.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Generallyfunperson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've been running the whole time with a non photosynthetic light, then the uglies are just starting. Skimmer likely has nothing to do with it. Current parameters? Tank size and clean up crew?
I have a 36 gallon tank. In uncertain whether the light is photosynthetic, but it is advertised as a reef light, so it might be. As for cleanup i only have a few snails and a couple hermit crabs. I dont know what else I'll need to get, but ive been looking into tuxedo urchins. It's been a while since ive checked the parameters honestly but heres a pic of the last time I checked em.
20221028_085447.jpg

[Sorry for my terrible handwriting]

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Generallyfunperson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More information required. I looked for a tank thread but couldn’t find your set up. Briefly describe your filtration, tank size and live stock in fish and coral. I noted an upgraded light. How recent?

Pictures with white light would help. Also describe export mechanisms.
My tanks size is a 36, im running a Bak-pak 2 skimmer. I have a clownfish a yellowtail damsel two green chromis, a scissortail and a diamond watchman goby. I haven't seen the clown or scissortail today though. Light upgrade i dont know when but it's been a couple of weeks. And im not home so i cant get a picture of the light.

Upvote 0

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your big nutrients look fine. Things you can’t measure are dissolved organic carbons (DOC). All photosynthetic organisms produce DOC as exudate/byproduct/waste. A protein skimmer is very inefficient at removing DOC. It is very efficient at gas exchange and removal of free swimming microbes in the water column. Activated carbon removes five fold more DOC than protein skimmers and mature reef tank inhabitants feed on certain types of DOC. DOC exudates from coral are mostly lipids & proteins while DOC from algae are mostly carbohydrate.

Are you carbon dosing?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Generallyfunperson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your big nutrients look fine. Things you can’t measure are dissolved organic carbons (DOC). All photosynthetic organisms produce DOC as exudate/byproduct/waste. A protein skimmer is very inefficient at removing DOC. It is very efficient at gas exchange and removal of free swimming microbes in the water column. Activated carbon removes five fold more DOC than protein skimmers and mature reef tank inhabitants feed on certain types of DOC. DOC exudates from coral are mostly lipids & proteins while DOC from algae are mostly carbohydrate.

Are you carbon dosing?
I have a bag of carbon in the skimmer, but i dont know what else to do, i dont have a job [because im legally not old enough] so im reliant on my parents for money to fix stuff [what doesn't help is my step dads solution is to throw more snails in there.]

Upvote 0

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails are part of a solution.

Carbon in a skimmer sounds quite passive. Normally, a media bag is part of a power filter with water flowing thru the media,

Please describe your system. Do you have any photosynthetic organisms in your display that will compete with algae on glass. If film algae on glass is a problem then reduce photoperiod or remove powerful light until you excercise nutrient export with partial water changes.

A picture would help.

Again what is your nutrient export maintenance.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone skipping over the 160 nitrate reading? That is extremely high if correct. Should be much much lower. As for clean up crew get a package from reefcleaners.org

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If nitrate is really 160 I would do 2, 30% water changes per week until below 30. From there it becomes personal preference how low you want them. I'd keep between 10 and 20.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Generallyfunperson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If nitrate is really 160 I would do 2, 30% water changes per week until below 30. From there it becomes personal preference how low you want them. I'd keep between 10 and 20.
I mean it might be less but its skyrocketed lately. Thank you for telling me how to fix it because ive neen stuck on what to do.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Generallyfunperson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone skipping over the 160 nitrate reading? That is extremely high if correct. Should be much much lower. As for clean up crew get a package from reefcleaners.org
No it totally is super high, ive just been stuck on how to fix it [like what scale of water change] but im going to fix that ASAP.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Generallyfunperson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails are part of a solution.

Carbon in a skimmer sounds quite passive. Normally, a media bag is part of a power filter with water flowing thru the media,

Please describe your system. Do you have any photosynthetic organisms in your display that will compete with algae on glass. If film algae on glass is a problem then reduce photoperiod or remove powerful light until you excercise nutrient export with partial water changes.

A picture would help.

Again what is your nutrient export maintenance.
Im going to be completely honest, i dont know what a lot of those words mean, but im on the way home so i can get a picture soon

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 36 gallons, my skimmer is hang on back, and i dont have a filter, im just running the skimmer, which is a bak-pak 2 model
I would add in a HoB filter. Inside my filter chamber I have a sponge, filter floss which I change twice a week and some chemipure elite to keep phosphate in check which is changed every 2 months.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Generallyfunperson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some photos of the sides of the tank. The back is much wose, and the water has been suoer murky all day
I would add in a HoB filter. Inside my filter chamber I have a sponge, filter floss which I change twice a week and some chemipure elite to keep phosphate in check which is changed every 2 months.
Would it be possible to get a link for one? Or is it one of those things i google and it pops up in seconds.

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 48 48.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 54 54.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 23 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.0%
Back