Need help with calcium

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh how big is you tank . I had a problem with rpm my coral was bleaching out with in my 6 water change so I stop and use the same salt witch is I/o I figure out that once you start a tank with a salt mix stick with it cause when you want to change salts bad things happen for a reason lol
Huh? Corals bleach out from high temps or to much light, not the brand of salt you use. There’s people on here that change salts all the time. And BRS even did a video on the benefits to changing salts if you want to run parameters closer to where you want them. There are no issues with changing salts, you just need to do it gradually

Last edited:
OP
OP
brownjoshua475

brownjoshua475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh? Corals bleach out from high temps or to much light, not the brand of salt you use. There’s people on here that change salts all the time. And BRS even did a video on the benefits to changing salts if you want to run parameters closer to where you want them. There are no issues with changing salts, you just need to do it gradually
Nothing to do with the salt I'm using I was trying to raising my salinity in my tank and now by doing that I raised my calcium and magnesium pretty high. I know I got magnesium pretty high it killed my snails and now I was wondering how do I lower them

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend putting saltwater in your ATO.
If you ever want to raise your salinity slowly, add new/aerated saltwater directly to your tank. When evaporation happens the salinity will slowly climb as your tank level goes back to normal. The amount you add is directly related to your tank size and daily evaporation. I'd start with 1 or 2 couple cups daily with your 32g cube and read your salinity at the same time each day.
Also, keep your ATO plugged in and don't dose anything until you get your desired salt level.
Anyway ...

As for your Big 3 levels;
If you don't have a heavy load of corals to lower your readings fast enough for you, consider performing some WCs with Red Sea Blue Bucket salt.
The levels on the bucket are decently low and will allow you to slowly lower your levels with each change.

I use IO regular and hate how high the readings can get sometimes, but it's "cheap like borscht"

Red Sea blue is fairly costly but comes in handy in these situations.

What corals do you currently have? Looking to see which ones will be affected by changing your parameters ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
brownjoshua475

brownjoshua475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend putting saltwater in your ATO.
If you ever want to raise your salinity slowly, add new/aerated saltwater directly to your tank. When evaporation happens the salinity will slowly climb as your tank level goes back to normal. The amount you add is directly related to your tank size and daily evaporation. I'd start with 1 or 2 couple cups daily with your 32g cube and read your salinity at the same time each day.
Also, keep your ATO plugged in and don't dose anything until you get your desired salt level.
Anyway ...

As for your Big 3 levels;
If you don't have a heavy load of corals to lower your readings fast enough for you, consider performing some WCs with Red Sea Blue Bucket salt.
The levels on the bucket are decently low and will allow you to slowly lower your levels with each change.

I use IO regular and hate how high the readings can get sometimes, but it's "cheap like borscht"

Red Sea blue is fairly costly but comes in handy in these situations.

What corals do you currently have? Looking to see which ones will be affected by changing your parameters ...
I have a couple acros, purple stylo, green stylo, bubble gum digi, forest fire digi, red monti cap, duncan, and hand full of different zoas, and a duncan colony, and some leptos

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple acros, purple stylo, green stylo, bubble gum digi, forest fire digi, red monti cap, duncan, and hand full of different zoas, and a duncan colony, and some leptos
In that case, you'll want to lower your levels slowly - not a day or 2, but rather over a week or 2.
Take some readings today, then tomorrow or the day after, and at the same time of day.
Look at the numbers and compare what is being used daily.
Then decide from there if you want to let it drop on it's own or intervene.

OP
OP
brownjoshua475

brownjoshua475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case, you'll want to lower your levels slowly - not a day or 2, but rather over a week or 2.
Take some readings today, then tomorrow or the day after, and at the same time of day.
Look at the numbers and compare what is being used daily.
Then decide from there if you want to let it drop on it's own or intervene.
Ok thanks

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going forward, test your newly made water and your DT water before performing a WC.
Many salt mixes require us to make adjustments before adding them to our tanks.

Edit: sometimes even having to go as far as changing salt brands/mixes

Last edited:

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing to do with the salt I'm using I was trying to raising my salinity in my tank and now by doing that I raised my calcium and magnesium pretty high. I know I got magnesium pretty high it killed my snails and now I was wondering how do I lower them
My reply was not directed at you, it was directed at the false information that somebody was telling you :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back