Need help with choosing media for Ca reactor

TAHK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear all,
Has anyone tried using ReBorn media in the Dastaco, or Deltec reactors? I am getting frustrated with my current reactor by Aquarium Engineering (not being able to get it to function reliably) and thinking about a switch to either Deltec or Dastaco. Both of these are supposed to be running at pH of 6. Dastaco recommends using man made media and Deltec suggests calcite.
Would pH of 6 melt ReBorn to mush and will make it clog the reactor, or would it be ok? Has anyone tried using ReBorn in either one of these two?
My thought has always been that dissolving crushed coral (ReBorn) supplements ALL minerals and is preferable to man-made media.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are running an ACR from Aquarium Engineering, you are probably already running at a PH of 6 using the Reborn. I run Reborn in my ACR and it holds up fine. I guess it depends if the Dastaco and Deltec are both upflow as well? If they are, I would expect them to be able to use Reborn fine.

What are the issues you are having with your existing reactor? I run an ACR and may be able to help you debug yours (if it is an ACR).

Update: I see you are having CO2 issues with your ACR. I will respond in the other thread.

Dennis

Last edited:
OP
OP
TAHK

TAHK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are running an ACR from Aquarium Engineering, you are probably already running at a PH of 6 using the Reborn. I run Reborn in my ACR and it holds up fine. I guess it depends if the Dastaco and Deltec are both upflow as well? If they are, I would expect them to be able to use Reborn fine.

What are the issues you are having with your existing reactor? I run an ACR and may be able to help you debug yours (if it is an ACR).

Update: I see you are having CO2 issues with your ACR. I will respond in the other thread.

Dennis
Thank you! I was not sure what pH ACR was running at. I have the 8” stacked version.
The issue is a silly one but the one that drives me bonkers! I run out of CO2 in 3 days for the 5lb bottle. I have tested all the visible connections and hoses With soapy water and didn’t find any leaks. I have tried to run it with the extra Teflon washer on the regulator (as Bill recommended in his instructions) and without as recommended by the sticker on the regulator itself (confusing, I know). No difference. Everything else seems to be working. Unless I can figure it out, I am looking at a new reactor… I have considered just regular Reef Octopus one, but the automatic option is attractive. I am open to any suggestions you might have. Thank you in advance.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replied to one of your other threads on media, I saw the ACR support thread after unfortunately.

How often does the CO2 solenoid energize on your unit? If it is only a few times per day, then the leak has to be before the check valve inside the valve box. If it energizes often, then the leak is in the reactor or the tubing, solenoid, after the check valve. Installing an external CO2 check valve after the valve box and before the reactor can help to determine if the leak is inside the valve box after the internal check valve. A change in how frequently (less often) the solenoid energizes after the inclusion of the external check valve would confirm the leak being upstream, inside the valve box.

Dennis

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A carx can be ran with manmade media or coral bones.
I ran mine with manmade media for almost 2 years and just recently switched to coral bones.

I run mine without a controller or ph probe.
All I do is set bubble count and drip rate.
Its that simple really.

I ran a very small Tunze 3171 that held only 2 liters of media with manmade media.

I just recently converted a Skimz media reactor to a carx and run coral bones now.

I saw on your other post about the co2 loss.
I ran my carx for a few weeks and then it dumped the whole bottle overnite.
I did not have the nut tight enough and it took time under pressure to back itself off and release all the co2.

OP
OP
TAHK

TAHK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replied to one of your other threads on media, I saw the ACR support thread after unfortunately.

How often does the CO2 solenoid energize on your unit? If it is only a few times per day, then the leak has to be before the check valve inside the valve box. If it energizes often, then the leak is in the reactor or the tubing, solenoid, after the check valve. Installing an external CO2 check valve after the valve box and before the reactor can help to determine if the leak is inside the valve box after the internal check valve. A change in how frequently (less often) the solenoid energizes after the inclusion of the external check valve would confirm the leak being upstream, inside the valve box.

Dennis
That’s brilliant! I’ll report on my findings. Thank you.

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run TLF Reborn in my MTC Pro-Cal Calcium Reactor. When I set it up, I put 50% Caribsea ARM media and 50% TLF Reborn. The Reborn dissolved much faster than the ARM, and that's with an output pH of ~6.6.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Little Fishies Reborn is the best.....

Back