Need help with Concrete-glass connection.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the glue used to secure windshield on car ,not mastic

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure it’s in their instructions to scuff it with 60 grit before recoating or applying silicone unless it’s done within the first 8 hours or something like that. I could be mistaken, but I looked into it when I built my vivarium. I used pond shield to seal the whole thing, then siliconed the glass in.

hmmn, or maybe I am. I used pond armor on my DIY vivarium also. Scuffed between coats but not for silicone. Maybe that’s why it leaks lol. Will have to doubt check.

OP
OP
D

Dule T&T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious why concrete over plywood? I've been designing my next tank (mostly in my head) and concluded that properly braced plywood was easier than concrete and still strong enough.

I guess it's just me. Concrete makes me feel safe hahaha

OP
OP
D

Dule T&T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure it’s in their instructions to scuff it with 60 grit before recoating or applying silicone unless it’s done within the first 8 hours or something like that. I could be mistaken, but I looked into it when I built my vivarium. I used pond shield to seal the whole thing, then siliconed the glass in.

To be safe, I'll test both ways on a small piece of concrete block or something before I start doing big thing. Just to be sure.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps, i used a few tank liner products industrially. We made concrete holding tanks to set diesel generators in so if the fuel tank leaked or spilled it wouldnt turn into an epa nightmare. It was a 2 step process after pouring. First we put down a thin layer of Steel-seem vse to fill in all the little voids and irregularities. I would suggest using something like that or non-shrink grout to get a smooth, even, voidless surface for your epoxy liner to go on.

Then we covered it in shellcote II, a petroleum stabile epoxy tank liner. It just rolled in. Both of those are Sherwin Williams products. I just use that as an example as i have done a few, but the point is if you call any industrial coatings seller im sure they would know the best product to use. (It may be pricy though, that stuff was $500 for 5)

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow just worked my way through this. No updates in 4 years+. Wonder if he moved to R2R or any other site?

but he does go into good detail re his concrete and glass combo, good memory you have!!

It really is an amazing aquarium, and was such an interesting and cool concept at the time (and still is to this day to me). He had some beautiful corals and fish, some of which he had for 10+ years which is truly amazing to me. I'm glad a few of you were able to enjoy that beautiful thread :)

Vleis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I've been working on some plans for a custom very large tank.
The whole idea is to build concrete tank with large glass "window".
I saw online many people already did that before. Thing is pretty much simple... build a concrete groove and place glass inside.
What I can't find anywhere is concrete information what to apply on concrete to be able to permanently silicone glass to it.

I saw some people talking that they used some "concrete epoxy primer" for that and then siliconed glass into concrete "window groove", but no one says which kind of epoxy exactly (name, brand... etc). Also I saw someone is talking about "pond shield epoxy".... but still can't find any confirmation and precise information.

So, any idea what can be applied on concrete surface to make it suitable for silicone in order to attach glass to it?

Thanks.

Look at the DIY KING's 2000g. He just used SILICONE I believe.

Video:

Jagg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I've been working on some plans for a custom very large tank.
The whole idea is to build concrete tank with large glass "window".
I saw online many people already did that before. Thing is pretty much simple... build a concrete groove and place glass inside.
What I can't find anywhere is concrete information what to apply on concrete to be able to permanently silicone glass to it.

I saw some people talking that they used some "concrete epoxy primer" for that and then siliconed glass into concrete "window groove", but no one says which kind of epoxy exactly (name, brand... etc). Also I saw someone is talking about "pond shield epoxy".... but still can't find any confirmation and precise information.

So, any idea what can be applied on concrete surface to make it suitable for silicone in order to attach glass to it?

Thanks.
You would need to seal the concrete first I think as it’s porous and dusty. Then I would maybe use CT1. It’s darn strong, sticks anything to anything else and fish safe

8A1DD697-2677-4BA7-85C6-FDA22B70E647.jpeg

tunnel rat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't help you with this one but You might want to check out the DIY forum also.
Use KIM additive, , made in Canada, to make sure your concrete is waterproof.. Now there is no need to waterproof from exterior. Let crete cure 28 days. The recess you formed in for glass pane should now be coated with epoxy. Inset glass with stainless 316 pipe rounds to prop up glass panel so that panel is resting in center of concete/glass embedment zone. Mask glass so that silicone does not spoil your view. Let's say you want a 48x48 window in your bomb shelter, 20' below surface to view the sealife in your ajoinde aquaponic cistern. You might consider a welded and finished ss 316 flange to secure glass in place. In the concrete forming process, install perafin wax ductile so that, once your forms a gone, you can remove wax with torch or hot water jets. Now set glass panel and flange in place. Epoxy QD fitting to vent holes made by wax tube. Using a lacquer pot of fresh silicone, pressure inject for full a full mono-pour glass/silicone embodiment.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back