Need help with dialing in lights.

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running two zetlight 8600 55w lights over my Waterbox 90.3. Running them from 10 am to 8pm at 48% blue and UV and 17% white green and red with a slight ramp of approx. 10% on all channels between 3pm and 6pm. I've raised them as high on the mounts as possible.

I've measured par on various ledges at the 48% light level in the scape. Clearly have a dim spot in the middle of the tank. Might have to get a third light to deal with this but would have to remove the overflow cover to fit it and it'll be another AU$300.

I'm looking to stock mostly lps and softies with maybe an easy birdsnest and/or monti.

Should I ramp the lights up a bit to improve lower level par at the risk of bleaching lower light (e.g. Euphyllia) corals or just leave as is and place accordingly?

20210214_202358.jpg

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure there are others with much more experience than me. But I think overall your PAR readings seem really low. I would think if you get around 100-150 at the sand bed and then see what your readings are at the top of the rocks that’s probably a good place to be.

Also raising the height of your lights might help even things out a bit.

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 56w fluval light. I have blue and uv 100%, white at 53% and red and cyan at 10% when ramped up to day time spectrum.

OP
OP
LgTas

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure there are others with much more experience than me. But I think overall your PAR readings seem really low. I would think if you get around 100-150 at the sand bed and then see what your readings are at the top of the rocks that’s probably a good place to be.

Also raising the height of your lights might help even things out a bit.

Thanks. I've just been looking at the PAR sticky thread and see most have 100 on the sand bed. I'm going for mostly medium light corals so I may try slowly ramp up to 80ish on the sand bed and see where I'm at mid and top levels.

Unfortunately I cant raise the lights any higher.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back