Need help with getting rid of ULVA

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Vs animals, waiting to see if they work while mass builds, consider peroxide. Ulva is highly sensitive to peroxide it's nearly a guaranteed cure.

Lift out a rock with ulva on it, set on the counter in air. Corals aren't harmed a few mins in air, I have a video of me draining my whole nano with 13 yrs of corals for 30 mins, yours is a few mins.

Pour peroxide on target, avoiding corals, wet the target creatively

Let sit two mins cooking

Rinse area w saltwater, leave algae in place, set rock back

Compare that treated section to anything else you do, if it's the best section after a week, do it all. This method contacts peroxide only to the target, its coral safe and predicted best cure.

Ulva is requisite hitchhiker, when killed off, cannot come back.
@Crabby48 check this out.

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Katrina
As a follow up I still use peroxide and it does wonders on any algae issues I have. I will vouch tht it doesn’t have a negative effect on zoas (I just dip them in pure peroxide for 2 minutes) I typically try to avoid getting it on sps and I will say the one frag of monti cap I did get it on did not like it at all. It has recovered but it almost completely bleached.

I pull rocks, frags, frag rack etc out and just coat them in peroxide for 2 minutes and it wipes out algae.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a follow up I still use peroxide and it does wonders on any algae issues I have. I will vouch tht it doesn’t have a negative effect on zoas (I just dip them in pure peroxide for 2 minutes) I typically try to avoid getting it on sps and I will say the one frag of monti cap I did get it on did not like it at all. It has recovered but it almost completely bleached.

I pull rocks, frags, frag rack etc out and just coat them in peroxide for 2 minutes and it wipes out algae.
It’s only on one rock where my Midas blenny lives. Problem is the pistol shrimp and goby live under it so not sure if I want to remove.
i will read the thread tomorrow.
Did you have ulva in a fuge? Wonder if that is what started it as it gets in the display sometimes

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s only on one rock where my Midas blenny lives. Problem is the pistol shrimp and goby live under it so not sure if I want to remove.
i will read the thread tomorrow.
Did you have ulva in a fuge? Wonder if that is what started it as it gets in the display sometimes
Not sure where it came from, but once it started it went crazy. To be honest while peroxide worked wonders I finally got rid of it for good with vibrant. I needed to get rid of bubble algae which is why I went the vibrant route

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where it came from, but once it started it went crazy. To be honest while peroxide worked wonders I finally got rid of it for good with vibrant. I needed to get rid of bubble algae which is why I went the vibrant route
Friend had good luck with vibrant and bubble algae. Vibrant will kill my macro algae but may have to go that route. It’s not bad now but it is a moment away from Exploding I think. Thanks for the knowledge

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friend had good luck with vibrant and bubble algae. Vibrant will kill my macro algae but may have to go that route. It’s not bad now but it is a moment away from Exploding I think. Thanks for the knowledge
Double doses of vibrant definitely wipes out macro, mine melted away. Normal dosing seemed fine for macro

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ulva Lactuca (sea lettuce) invasive species of Ulva, not recommended for aquariums from what I've seen, although there is some anecdotal evidence that it may prevent dinoflagellates.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back