Need help with getting rid of ULVA

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a nuvo 25 black (drilled with a sump vs AOI). The tank is doing great but I’m starting to get ulva growing and getting a little out of hand. If I had a larger tank a couple fangs and the issue would be taken care of but with this smaller tank my herbivore options are limited. I believe the issue started when I increased my lighting to get the par for my acro’s up from 300 to 300 (I did the slowly over a month or so and now that it’s at 300 the ulva is definitely growing faster)

Some tank parameters (as you can see everything is in check)
Alk - 8.5 to 8.7
Cal - 480
Mag - 1350+
Temp - 78
Ph- 8.25 to 8.4
Par - 150 on the bottom 300 at the top
No3 - Po4 -
Acro’s have great polyp extension, monti’s are growing like weeds, zoas add a couple polyps a week.

Everything is doing great except I have to harvest ulva and clean it off frag plugs every couple days.

I do run a fuge for about 8 hrs at night and lighting is 12 hrs with ramp up to a 5 hr full intensity period. I also have snails (verity, nassarius and trocus) plus 2 emerald crabs for bubble algae control.

My options
1. Reduce lighting (don’t really want to do it as I have acro’s at the top of the tank)
2. Get a tuxedo urchin or two and deal with frags taking trips around the tank (they seem like the only herbivore option I have in this size tank)
3. Peroxide treatment of the ulva (I hate the thought of adding chemicals to the tank since it is doing so well
4. wait it out - as the acro grow and shade the lower part of the tank and outcompete the ulva for light and nutrients it should recede.

Some pics
813d02ea9f54a8f51801d1610b56e871.jpg

248d20f1b503846797d3ed9b586d0dba.jpg

What are everyone’s thoughts.

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a tang in my similar tank (which I don’t recommend) and a sailfin blenny. The blenny does work on algae though he is semi aggressive. Have you considered a blenny?

I have a tailspot but he like the pellet food and frozen more than algae

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vs animals, waiting to see if they work while mass builds, consider peroxide. Ulva is highly sensitive to peroxide it's nearly a guaranteed cure.

Lift out a rock with ulva on it, set on the counter in air. Corals aren't harmed a few mins in air, I have a video of me draining my whole nano with 13 yrs of corals for 30 mins, yours is a few mins.

Pour peroxide on target, avoiding corals, wet the target creatively

Let sit two mins cooking

Rinse area w saltwater, leave algae in place, set rock back

Compare that treated section to anything else you do, if it's the best section after a week, do it all. This method contacts peroxide only to the target, its coral safe and predicted best cure.

Ulva is requisite hitchhiker, when killed off, cannot come back.

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vs animals, waiting to see if they work while mass builds, consider peroxide. Ulva is highly sensitive to peroxide it's nearly a guaranteed cure.

Lift out a rock with ulva on it, set on the counter in air. Corals aren't harmed a few mins in air, I have a video of me draining my whole nano with 13 yrs of corals for 30 mins, yours is a few mins.

Pour peroxide on target, avoiding corals, wet the target creatively

Let sit two mins cooking

Rinse area w saltwater, leave algae in place, set rock back

Compare that treated section to anything else you do, if it's the best section after a week, do it all. This method contacts peroxide only to the target, its coral safe and predicted best cure.

Ulva is requisite hitchhiker, when killed off, cannot come back.

Thanks I was kinda thinking this may be the route I take. I prefer to deal without chemicals and ulva in of itself isn’t bad since it pretty much like cheato but it’s in my display which is bad. I’d love to have a tang gang to deal with it but since it’s a small tank I’m stuck.

What are my risks that I should watch out for with peroxide, as I’ve said the tank is doing really good so I also t want to harm the corals

Len

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of those corals are peroxide sensitive at the known safe doses of one mil per tank ten gallons, but all this is external work so coral sensitivity won't matter

We use three percent peroxide directly on target via drops for your work

it's surgically precise so as to only contact target. Small test area / wait a couple days to assess is low risk too, just to gauge response before large work. We would only apply upscale job if the test patch works great, it's not a deep anchor plant I think it won't be hard to beat. Here's our p thread we would enjoy your test and work pics too
You don't have a sandbed or detritus issue, nice design. Excellent sps nano.

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of those corals are peroxide sensitive at the known safe doses of one mil per tank ten gallons, but all this is external work so coral sensitivity won't matter

We use three percent peroxide directly on target via drops for your work

it's surgically precise so as to only contact target. Small test area / wait a couple days to assess is low risk too, just to gauge response before large work. We would only apply upscale job if the test patch works great, it's not a deep anchor plant I think it won't be hard to beat. Here's our p thread we would enjoy your test and work pics too
You don't have a sandbed or detritus issue, nice design. Excellent sps nano.

Thanks I have some frag racks that sit on the bottom of the tank they will be easy to pull out and test on. If that works then I’ll do the rock one piece at a time since it is only 4 larger pieces. I’ll post pics as I go so I can document the process

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any close-up pics of the ulva growing? I am very curious what it looks like when it becomes invasive because I purchased some a few weeks ago and it's currently in my QT tank, but it arrived as sheets of a light green translucent appearnce with tendril-like holdfasts at the bottom (I assume) of each blade of ulva. If it were to grow invasively, is it sheet like in appearance? Or is it like hair algae? JW

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any close-up pics of the ulva growing? I am very curious what it looks like when it becomes invasive because I purchased some a few weeks ago and it's currently in my QT tank, but it arrived as sheets of a light green translucent appearnce with tendril-like holdfasts at the bottom (I assume) of each blade of ulva. If it were to grow invasively, is it sheet like in appearance? Or is it like hair algae? JW

I will get a pic when the lights are on but it grows in sheets flat against the rock. That kinda layer on top of each other.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given nitrogen & light, ulva will outgrow Chaeto 5 fold. Everything eats it and pods live it. I have frag tanks with Enteromorphy, cousin to Ulva.

Ulvae is easily removed with a 10 minute bath in 10% solution of peroxide. Reduce length of bath for sensitive corals-

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prefer an ulva challenge to just about any other invader, it’s predicted pretty easy to direct kill. Can’t wait to see test pics n progressions

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prefer an ulva challenge to just about any other invader, it’s predicted pretty easy to direct kill. Can’t wait to see test pics n progressions

I will probably start tomorrow, I have the lights set for acclimation right now as I added some new corals yesterday so that will help as well.

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I treated one of my frag racks and some snails so let’s see how it goes. I pulled the large clumps of algae off then coated what was left with peroxide for 2 min. I then rinsed it in fresh saltwater and put back in the tank.

Before I hand pulled the loose algae off
d74fcd9190186f30020b80d58dd5c784.jpg

After coating with peroxide
c41564d49c2613baebbf0eb4cfb3c801.jpg

Snails after coating their shells in peroxide for 2 min
8c724f4c4bf73ccb3808572842bb6c6d.jpg

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to get a good picture but the algae on the frag plate and the snails is translucent and dying after a day

Dying ulva
86f81358f79ca073e22d58522119f2ee.jpg

Healthy ulva
6fcc830597343497dbc233c3a1c23918.jpg

Of course my skimmer decided to break while cleaning it yesterday (I broke the impeller shaft) I have a replacement on order so it will be back up and running soon. I will have to keep an eye on the nutrients as I kill off this ulva until I get it fixed

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to beat Ulva in my 20g Nuvo by manual removal and the addition of 3 Gold Ring/Money Cowries. Those little guys love Ulva.

OP
OP
lbacha

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everywhere I have treated with peroxide has completely killed the ulva. I have added a couple urchins to the tank so I’m only using peroxide on my frag plugs and racks and letting the urchins deal with the rockwork. They will be a more permanent fix as I do like keeping my nutrients a little higher along with high light for my sps. Thanks for the tips and the peroxide treatment is pretty simple.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's going to really help someone next round on an ulva challenge, it's linked to most recent page in our thread as a fine work example

Disallowance of ulva did occur. It was unwilled right out

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back