Need help with light setup for mix reef tank

Bo2022

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I’m new to the hobby for almost a year now. I switched from AIO 10 gallon to RedSea reefer nano (around 20 gal) tank last month. I’m using the same light as I used on the previous tank the AI Prime 16.
Thus the light preset needed adjustment, the current highest time of the day is at 33w. My question is how many watts I should reach for my mix reef system? What do UV does? Should I rise up the UV?

any recommendations would help! Thank u

IMG_7122.jpeg IMG_7123.png

Attachments

• IMG_6942.mov
    18.3 MB
OP
OP
Bo2022

Bo2022

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some researches but so many different stories I don’t know which to believe lol.

One said that “The volume of water > Light’s wattage > times 0.5 of the total water volume(L)” so in this case my display tank is at 77L times 0.5 then my highest light wattage should be at 38w?

Regarding UV light, one perspective suggests that it does not kill bacteria but rather enhances the color of corals, particularly in SPS-only tanks. It is recommended to set the UV light intensity at around 70%.

With all my confusion can anybody explains how those light works, red green uv…

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultraviolet Light (or UV) from your reef lights is just a Black Light, it makes colors POP. The Blue and Royal Blue spectrum also help with coloration of your coral. White is what actually causes GROWTH, but since coral live underwater, a lot of the spectrum gets filtered out or diffused. Most people agree that if you run Blues at 100% you should run Whites at 10% OR LESS!! Red light causes a lot of ALGAE Growth, which is why Fuge lights are RED Spectrum. Green is similar to Red in effect on the tank, but you need a little more green than red usually.

Not to be confused with a UV Sterilizer which uses INTENSE UV light radiation in a controlled environment to kill waterborne bacteria usually by passing water thru a TUBE the light is encased inside of.

Hope this helps explain the spectrum a little. Just remember that Zooxanthella Algae grows thru Photosynthesis converting CO2 into Oxygen which the Coral itself needs to grow, it is the exact same process that makes you have to mow your yard every week.

OP
OP
Bo2022

Bo2022

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply, it’s very neat and informational.

I do see almost everyone’s tank are very blue but I personality found that it will hurt my eyes so I kept my white higher than usual.

Do you think 33w will be enough for my tank? How to tell if corals are getting too much or not enough light?

Attachments

• IMG_7323.png
    IMG_7323.png
    91.4 KB · Views: 24

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 36 46.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.8%
Back