Need Help with Lighting

Falreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I could use some help regarding a Red Sea Max 250 Reef Tank canopy and lighting.
What are the options to replace the lights?
It is running T5s, I have 5 Actinic and 1 White. The problem is 2 of the back bulbs no longer come on.
Probably a ballast(s) went bad. Taking the hood apart and replacing things is a bear.
Did that recently for some fans in the hood.
The lights are not individually controllable and all the lights run on one integrated timer.
What can I do to replace the lighting? What would it cost?
Should I consider ditching the hood / canopy - though it looks sleek and well contained and probably cuts down on evaporation and RODI auto top off rate of use.

Please if anyone out there has the same system and has made adjustments, I would appreciate some guidance and help.
If you made changes to Skimmer, Heater, pumps, Lights etc. This was an emergency used system purchase of an older model Red Sea Max 250 (65 gallon tank).
Bought to replace a spontaneous rupture of a year and half old JBJ 30 Rimless - bought new, no longer being produced. This is the one with the curved glass. Really nice design, but poor manufacturing and poor support. Warranty also ridiculously short at 6 months.

But once again, I need help with my lighting on the Red Sea Max 250 Reef Tank.
I'd like something that fits into the canopy and can be LED perhaps or individually controlled for timing, types of lighting, intensity, etc...etc...
I don't even know if it is possible.

60gallonrimlessYA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I could use some help regarding a Red Sea Max 250 Reef Tank canopy and lighting.
What are the options to replace the lights?
It is running T5s, I have 5 Actinic and 1 White. The problem is 2 of the back bulbs no longer come on.
Probably a ballast(s) went bad. Taking the hood apart and replacing things is a bear.
Did that recently for some fans in the hood.
The lights are not individually controllable and all the lights run on one integrated timer.
What can I do to replace the lighting? What would it cost?
Should I consider ditching the hood / canopy - though it looks sleek and well contained and probably cuts down on evaporation and RODI auto top off rate of use.

Please if anyone out there has the same system and has made adjustments, I would appreciate some guidance and help.
If you made changes to Skimmer, Heater, pumps, Lights etc. This was an emergency used system purchase of an older model Red Sea Max 250 (65 gallon tank).
Bought to replace a spontaneous rupture of a year and half old JBJ 30 Rimless - bought new, no longer being produced. This is the one with the curved glass. Really nice design, but poor manufacturing and poor support. Warranty also ridiculously short at 6 months.

But once again, I need help with my lighting on the Red Sea Max 250 Reef Tank.
I'd like something that fits into the canopy and can be LED perhaps or individually controlled for timing, types of lighting, intensity, etc...etc...
I don't even know if it is possible.
Did you ever do leds In the hood and what did you use if so

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 58 45.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 44 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back