Need help with my puffer fish

Alan Griesemer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5 year old dog face puffer that all of the sudden stopped eating. Over the course of about a week she started getting really big. I thought she was just constipated and was full of food. A day or so later I found out that the reason she was big was because she was full of eggs. She laid them all over the tank. Since she laid the eggs she went back to her normal size but now she hasn't eaten in a week. In addition to her not eating she is also turning black from time to time. Prior to this she was very energetic and ate everyday. Acting totally normal not sure what I can do at this point of age is not eating. Anyone have any information about puffer that just laid eggs not eating?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do not attemp to feed for a couple of days and do a 20% water change
What is current ammonia, ph- salinity and nitrate level?
Inspect skin carefully for any dots or film like appearance
How does its poop look

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5 year old dog face puffer that all of the sudden stopped eating. Over the course of about a week she started getting really big. I thought she was just constipated and was full of food. A day or so later I found out that the reason she was big was because she was full of eggs. She laid them all over the tank. Since she laid the eggs she went back to her normal size but now she hasn't eaten in a week. In addition to her not eating she is also turning black from time to time. Prior to this she was very energetic and ate everyday. Acting totally normal not sure what I can do at this point of age is not eating. Anyone have any information about puffer that just laid eggs not eating?
Egg binding is an issue for some fish when they retain eggs too long due to lack of a normal spawning opportunity. This can create sepsis in the unreleased eggs. Your fish released its eggs, but I wonder if they were held too long though?
Jay

OP
OP
Alan Griesemer

Alan Griesemer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Egg binding is an issue for some fish when they retain eggs too long due to lack of a normal spawning opportunity. This can create sepsis in the unreleased eggs. Your fish released its eggs, but I wonder if they were held too long though?
Jay
I'm not sure how long is too long but I'd say she held them for about 2 weeks? Is this too long?
Do not attemp to feed for a couple of days and do a 20% water change
What is current ammonia, ph- salinity and nitrate level?
Inspect skin carefully for any dots or film like appearance
How does its poop look
This is exactly what I did. I changed the water immediately to get out any of the remaining eggs that I couldn't get with the net. Then changed all my filters as well. I didn't check the levels but will today if I can. Normally my tank is very clean and normal because she is the only fish I have in the tank. No coral either.

I do drop one small chunk of shrimp or calamari in each night around her normal feeding time but I remove it after a few hours when she does not eat it.

OP
OP
Alan Griesemer

Alan Griesemer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to give an update, so my puffer has not eaten in 2 weeks but oddly looks and is acting pretty much normal. There are no signs of decay on her skin or cloudy eyes. Additionally she is pooping everyday which is weird if she is not eating.

Not really sure if this is normal but I though she would be dead or very sick at this point.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to give an update, so my puffer has not eaten in 2 weeks but oddly looks and is acting pretty much normal. There are no signs of decay on her skin or cloudy eyes. Additionally she is pooping everyday which is weird if she is not eating.

Not really sure if this is normal but I though she would be dead or very sick at this point.
Weird about the feces, I’ve had fish go long periods without food (months) but they didn’t produce feces that I ever saw.
Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back