Need help with probable Dinos?

ugluna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I made a transfer from a 15 Gal tank to a bigger 70gal tank one year ago, everything was running smooth on the 15 Gal until problems came, around 3months ago I had a lot of GHA (my RODI needed replacement filters and membrane) so I started doing bigger water changes but my nutrient parameters went to 0 so I'm actually trying to bring them up but with no success at all..
I have only 2 pajama cardinals in that tank, 6 snails and 1 urchin.

I have two rocks one used to be full of Xenia and the other full of zoas but I'm afraid they are death, haven't seen them open for a while.

My questions are;

Should I keep on not doing water changes? It has been a month since the last WC without any increase in PO4 or NO3

I've been feeding the recommended dose of reef roids every other day and also MinS recommended dose as well. I feed the fish once a day but they sometimes won't even eat at all for the fish I feed frozen, pellets and spirulina but randomly selected.

Should I keep trying to get rid of the slime? It appears to come back after few hours .

Thank you guys for your support I love you all <3

I attached two files before and after the incident u_u

Attachments

• VID20231218100207.mp4
    46.2 MB
  • VID20230425133847.mp4
    25.8 MB
OP
OP
ugluna

ugluna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Thanks so much I'm actually winning the battle, so I started changing the filter floss every morning, heavy feeding... frozen, pellets and spirulina for fish (even tho they just see the food and won't touch it xD ) and reef roids and MinS for corals every other day, I transfered an BTA from another tank and two large green candy cane colonies, been also dosing 3ml of Microbacter7 daily and also did a 3 days total black out, when the black out was happening I added copepods to the tank so all of that together seems to have stopped but not eradicated Dinos!

Parameters now are;

Nitrate - 6ppm
Phosphate - 0.049
Mag- 1400ppm
Dkh- 9.5
Cal- haven't tested it xD
Ph- 8.2
Salinity - 35
Temp - 76

sheel be right

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
watch out with the micro bacter dosing, i remember a episode on reef therapy where mike crashed/almost crashed his tank by bottoming out his nutrients with it, and dino’s tend to thrive in low or nitrates and phos or when they bottom out.

OP
OP
ugluna

ugluna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks for the advice! I totally agree with you and I'm checking parameters every other day to prevent it from happening

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a numbers game. Continue reducing numbers like your doing daily and ensure a stable nutrient base.

At one point, the reduced Dino population can’t keep up with the good guy algae and they get outcompeted and disappear.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back