Need help with small emergency!!

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ballast failed on me an although I have a backup turns out its only 400 watts! Im running two 250 watt metal halide bulbs. Can I use the 400 watt ballast until my new one comes in the mail? Can this cause the bulb to explode or will they just run at lower intensity? Any info is appreciated thanks!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kaboom!!

With all due respect, you don't need to have tried it to know it is a bad idea.

All you need to know is a bit about electricity.

You cannot mix and match your HID components. They are only designed to run at the specified wattage.

The best you can hope for is to DRAMATICALLY shorten your bulb life... to mere HOURS rather than the expected year or more of daily use.

The worst you can hope for is a fire.

So with all due respect, don't ask a question and then wait until someone gives you the answer you want to hear... listen to the people who are telling you SAFETY FIRST.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ballast failed on me an although I have a backup turns out its only 400 watts! Im running two 250 watt metal halide bulbs. Can I use the 400 watt ballast until my new one comes in the mail? Can this cause the bulb to explode or will they just run at lower intensity? Any info is appreciated thanks!
Is the ballast wattage adjustable? I'd turn the remaining ballast to 250 and just run one until your new ballast arrives. Your corals will be fine for a couple days with only one bulb. Dont want to risk trying to run two off one ballast

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back