Need Help with Stocking

Dfr06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, so after 2.5 years since my last bad attempt at a nano tank I've decided to do a larger reef. The tank I'm thinking on getting would be 120x60x60cm which is around 430l/110g. So far for the stocking I have:

- A pair of ocellaris
- A pair of lyretail anthias
- yellow watchman goby + candy cane pistol
- A wrasse (would like recommendations)
- Banggai cardinal trio
- A bicolor blenny
- A copperbanded butterfly
- Possible Mandarin once established (maybe 6+ months)

I also really want to get a fuzzy dwarf lionfish but I'm not sure on whether or not it will eat the other fish. The tank will have a lot of liverock, corals (Mostly soft and LPS) and I'm planning on keeping macroalgae in the display. For filtration it will be a diy all in one with a protein skimmer. I will likely get the tank in the next few days/weeks and have it cycled and ready for the first fish by mid-January. Any ideas/recommendations would be really helpful.

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get a blue seargon Fish, maybye a yellow tang. My main concern is filtration. The protein skimmer will be fine but I would also get another filter or you could just make a 2nd skimmer. Lion fish are poisones and there known to be aggressive. Wouldnt recommend lion fish.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, so after 2.5 years since my last bad attempt at a nano tank I've decided to do a larger reef. The tank I'm thinking on getting would be 120x60x60cm which is around 430l/110g. So far for the stocking I have:

- A pair of ocellaris
- A pair of lyretail anthias
- yellow watchman goby + candy cane pistol
- A wrasse (would like recommendations)
- Banggai cardinal trio
- A bicolor blenny
- A copperbanded butterfly
- Possible Mandarin once established (maybe 6+ months)

I also really want to get a fuzzy dwarf lionfish but I'm not sure on whether or not it will eat the other fish. The tank will have a lot of liverock, corals (Mostly soft and LPS) and I'm planning on keeping macroalgae in the display. For filtration it will be a diy all in one with a protein skimmer. I will likely get the tank in the next few days/weeks and have it cycled and ready for the first fish by mid-January. Any ideas/recommendations would be really helpful.
Get at least 3 anthias, preferably 5 or 6. With 2 one will become male and pester the lone female. You want plenty of females so the male spreads the aggression around.

Many options for wrasses. Many of the reef safe Halichoeres will do nicely. I currently have a halichoeres chrysus(yellow coris) and it's a great fish. Peaceful and will eat pests. If planning to get a mandarin though, look into a flasher or fairy wrasse. Any reef safe one will likely do but aim for the more peaceful ones.

Consider a smaller tang. I have a yellow eye kole tang that helps ensure that I have no algae on the rocks or glass.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get a blue seargon Fish, maybye a yellow tang. My main concern is filtration. The protein skimmer will be fine but I would also get another filter or you could just make a 2nd skimmer. Lion fish are poisones and there known to be aggressive. Wouldnt recommend lion fish.
If it’s an all in one it should have mechanical filtration at the least and what would a second protein skimmer do? Probably wouldn’t be able to fit two in an aio chamber anyway.

OP
OP
D

Dfr06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get at least 3 anthias, preferably 5 or 6. With 2 one will become male and pester the lone female. You want plenty of females so the male spreads the aggression around.

Many options for wrasses. Many of the reef safe Halichoeres will do nicely. I currently have a halichoeres chrysus(yellow coris) and it's a great fish. Peaceful and will eat pests. If planning to get a mandarin though, look into a flasher or fairy wrasse. Any reef safe one will likely do but aim for the more peaceful ones.

Consider a smaller tang. I have a yellow eye kole tang that helps ensure that I have no algae on the rocks or glass.
I thought of getting a scopas tang but since I will likely be keeping macroalgae in the the DT wouldn't it just eat all of it? I looked at the fairy wrasses available to me and I liked the orange back wrasse, red head wrasse, and Naoko wrasse. Are these 3 safe for my tank? I would only be getting one.

Also does anyone have thoughts on the fuzzy dwarf? Or another good personable species that would interact with me?

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought of getting a scopas tang but since I will likely be keeping macroalgae in the the DT wouldn't it just eat all of it? I looked at the fairy wrasses available to me and I liked the orange back wrasse, red head wrasse, and Naoko wrasse. Are these 3 safe for my tank? I would only be getting one.

Also does anyone have thoughts on the fuzzy dwarf? Or another good personable species that would interact with me?
I had an orange back and loved him. Very peaceful. Shared a barnacle with a firefish at night.

I don't have any experience with the dwarf lionfish. I do have a dog faced puffer who interacts with me, but it's a gamble as to what they will eat in regards to coral. Mine ate my zoas and sampled my hammer frequently enough that I moved the hammer to the fuge.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back