Need help with sump please!

  • Thread starter Thread starter ndz98
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 19, 2015
Messages
1,949
Reaction score
1,091
Location
Cookeville
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to figure out what need in order to plumb everything right and have made a couple threads about it before but still haven't gotten the help I needed so I'll keep trying until someone's helps lol. Anyways I have a 29g tank that I plan on drilling and plumbing into my 10 g sump. I'm going to use braided vinyl instead of pvc since this is my first time drilling and building a sump and figured it would be more forgiving if I screwed up. I need to know if The things I picked out below are correct for. Two bulkheads will go where the overflow is and one where the return is. Then I'm not so sure about this part but should I put a slip 90 on bothe sides of the bulkheads where the overflow will be or just the outside? And for the return do I put one on the outside and the loc line adapter on the inside attached to the bulkhead?

image.png


image.png
 
ok you could put a elbow in the overflow as well if you wish but its not needed I have never used an overflow of that style but I think it would be quieter if you hade one in the box but like I said I am not positive of that lol
 
Did you buy everything all ready?

If not I'd go with slip x threaded bulkheads (for the overflow) and threaded 90 degree spigot, that will allow you to connect a 90 degree (slip) street elbow on the overflow side and also allow you to dissemble everything if you ever need to. Now for the return, I would use thread x thread bulkheads as the Loc-Line Male NPT Connector is threaded in place, and a threaded 90 degree spigot connected to the return line/s.
 
What is the silicone for? Not your plumbing, I hope.
 
Did you buy everything all ready?

If not I'd go with slip x threaded bulkheads (for the overflow) and threaded 90 degree spigot, that will allow you to connect a 90 degree (slip) street elbow on the overflow side and also allow you to dissemble everything if you ever need to. Now for the return, I would use thread x thread bulkheads as the Loc-Line Male NPT Connector is threaded in place, and a threaded 90 degree spigot connected to the return line/s.
No I haven't bought anything yet. I was waiting to make sure I got the right things. I'll probably order tomorrow or tonight.
 
Did you buy everything all ready?

If not I'd go with slip x threaded bulkheads (for the overflow) and threaded 90 degree spigot, that will allow you to connect a 90 degree (slip) street elbow on the overflow side and also allow you to dissemble everything if you ever need to. Now for the return, I would use thread x thread bulkheads as the Loc-Line Male NPT Connector is threaded in place, and a threaded 90 degree spigot connected to the return line/s.
So you think 1/2 in on both would be fine?
 
So you think 1/2 in on both would be fine?
And this is all the right things that you said? And if I'm using braided vinyl instead of pvc should I use barbed instead of spigots on the back outside of the tank?

image.png
 
So you think 1/2 in on both would be fine?

sorry for the late response, didn't get notifications on your replys last night!

1/2" is ok, I personally would go as big as the space allows me for on the drain side, for the returns you might consider 3/4" but, again space and aesthetics you'll have to deal with.
 
sorry for the late response, didn't get notifications on your replys last night!

1/2" is ok, I personally would go as big as the space allows me for on the drain side, for the returns you might consider 3/4" but, again space and aesthetics you'll have to deal with.
Yea I think I'll be able to fit the 3/4 in the overflow. As for using braided vinyl, how would I attach it to the ends of those?
 
Yea I think I'll be able to fit the 3/4 in the overflow. As for using braided vinyl, how would I attach it to the ends of those?

you could go with a combo fitting - barb ends with a 90 degree threaded end.
 
looks like this...
Barb902inch-2T.jpg
 
looks right, 1st rule of plumbing is that you're not done unless you have made at least 3 trips to home goods store!
 
looks right, 1st rule of plumbing is that you're not done unless you have made at least 3 trips to home goods store!
Haha oh man. Let's hope it only takes one lol
 
good luck, post back the finished system.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new