Need help with these 2 hammers

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of hammers in my tank that aren't like they used to be. 1 of them receded all the way to the center of its skeleton back in July. Other than the fact it is receded, it's doing great, just smaller than usual. Think I even see some new tentacle growth.

Another hammer has progressively gotten worse. This one too has receded a bit, but not as much. However, it shows nowhere near the same extension as before and just looks incredibly ugly. Has a lot of brown instead of green and extremely short tentacles. This is something that has slowly been happening over the course of a year. Picture 1 is last year around June, second picture is this year January and third picture is of last week.

And lastly a hammer that is doing fine, but simply lost his color. It's completely purple/brown. Again, this has slowly gotten worse over the course of a year. The fourth picture shows what it looks like right now (above picture) and what it used to look like (below picture). It was even more colorful last year actually.

I have another big pink/green hammer that looks great, multiple frogspawns and torches that are huge and colorful. All my other lps are doing perfectly fine as well, even sps are doing alright. All my Euphyllia are placed together on some rockwork. The hammers aren't touched by any of my other corals (never see any sweepers at night either).

Alk has been stable for 2 months now at 8.0 - 8.3. There have been some swings in the months before that due to dosing/testing errors. Calcium has mostly been stable at 440 - 450, but has spiked as well at the same times as the alk. Nitrates 20 - 25, phosphates 0.1 - 0.3, these have been like this ever since I started the tank 1.5 years ago. Temperature around 24.5C / ~ 76F, salinity 1.025, these have pretty much been stable.

Any ideas what's going on and what I can do?

Screenshot_20200916-145658_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20201127-100515_Gallery.jpg 20200924_134528.jpg 20200817_144359.jpg

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would SLOWLY bring your temps up. Mine literally exploded at 79 degrees + feeding them CoralVues Easy SPS gel via a doser greatly improved their health & size.

Attachments

• IMG_7523.JPG
    IMG_7523.JPG
    238.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7524.JPG
    IMG_7524.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly brown jelly disease if you see tissue receding and skeletal collapse
Thanks, however, I had a torch that died because of brown jelly a few weeks ago. It went from fully extended, to slightly less extended to tissue literally falling out of the skeleton in 2 weeks time. This hammer (and the one that now seems to be recovering) has had its tissue receded for months. Wouldn't brown jelly be much quicker than that?
I would SLOWLY bring your temps up. Mine literally exploded at 79 degrees + feeding them CoralVues Easy SPS gel via a doser greatly improved their health & size.
Do you see any other benefits or negative aspects of the higher temperature? 79/80 degrees would help a lot in summer time as well, because my temperature gets up to 79 without a cooling fan anyway.

I can only in- or decrease my temperature by about 2 degrees at a time. Would that be too big of a jump or is it fine if I do it in a few weeks time for example?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can do 1 degree a week increase would be pretty reasonable while they're small. Once they take hold (start showing growth) a two degree daily swing is nothing for them.

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brown jelly usually does act quickly but I have had experience where it acts slower. But your right it wouldn't be months of receding tissue.

Back