Need Help with Used Aquarium!

aggiejames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all and thanks for those who read and respond. I can use all the help I can get!
To start: I know nothing. Respond as if I am a complete moron! I shall not be offended, I promise.

I just purchased a used 20 gallon IM Nuvo Pro aquarium and brought it home and spent the day cleaning it. It was pretty nasty. It's now clean, all sand emptied, and ready for a fresh start in my office at work. I am going to list the gear below and then ask some basic questions.

1. Innovative Marine Nuvo 20
2. 2x Sicce .5 Return Pumps
3. Rotating heads for return pump
4. Filter Basket
5. Auqa Shield UV sterilizer
6. AquaMaxx FR-S Internal Media Reactor
7. Live Rock
8. Heater
9. Sand
10. Jebao Wavemaker
11. Bag of Salt
12. RODI unit with new filters
13. Bottle of Fritz 9
14. ATO
15. ATO Reservoir

I was able to buy everything for $100 and I was planning to spend $600 or so to get into the hobby. So I got an awesome deal from a really great guy.

Question 1) Is there anything else I need to buy immediately before I get this thing wet tomorrow with saltwater? Long term I know I will need to buy odds and ends but is there anything immediately missing that I need before I am ready for fish?

Question 2) Where does everything need to go? I think previously he was running the media basket in the left overflow, UV in the right overflow, and media reactor and return pumps in the middle area. Does that sound correct? Should I move stuff around and try and put a filter sock into the overflows?

Question 3) What should I run in the reactor? GFO and Carbon? Does it need to tumble or just run it packed?

Question 4) Am I ready for a few clown fish to get the tank going? With live rock, fritz, and some ceramics from a live tank should I be good to pour water in and get going?

OP
OP
A

aggiejames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized I am going to need a light of some kind. Long term goal is to grow some soft coral and have 4-5 fish. Suggestions on a light would also be very helpful knowing my budget. Probably a used one.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like youve got the hardware. Youll need some salt, I use red sea coral pro. Also need bottled bacteria and an ammonia (I get this bottled as well). You will need test kits, basic readings need to be at least 8.0 Ph, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and some nitrate to indicate your cycle is complete. Get some good live rock and sand, this helps too. Usually takes the tank about a month to cycle without fish, having fish in while its cycling is so hard on them. Corals wait at least 3 months for success! Welcome to the hobby :)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you will need RO/DI water. Either get a maker from bulk reef supply or buy from local fish store (LFS). Conditioner in tap water doesnt work for salt at all where as you can get away with it in fresh water

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all and thanks for those who read and respond. I can use all the help I can get!
To start: I know nothing. Respond as if I am a complete moron! I shall not be offended, I promise.

I just purchased a used 20 gallon IM Nuvo Pro aquarium and brought it home and spent the day cleaning it. It was pretty nasty. It's now clean, all sand emptied, and ready for a fresh start in my office at work. I am going to list the gear below and then ask some basic questions.

4. Filter Basket
7. Live Rock
8. Heater
9. Sand
10. Jebao Wavemaker
11. Bag of Salt
13. Bottle of Fritz 9
14. ATO
15. ATO Reservoir

I was able to buy everything for $100 and I was planning to spend $600 or so to get into the hobby. So I got an awesome deal from a really great guy.

Question 1) Is there anything else I need to buy immediately before I get this thing wet tomorrow with saltwater? Long term I know I will need to buy odds and ends but is there anything immediately missing that I need before I am ready for fish?

Question 2) Where does everything need to go? I think previously he was running the media basket in the left overflow, UV in the right overflow, and media reactor and return pumps in the middle area. Does that sound correct? Should I move stuff around and try and put a filter sock into the overflows?

Question 3) What should I run in the reactor? GFO and Carbon? Does it need to tumble or just run it packed?

Question 4) Am I ready for a few clown fish to get the tank going? With live rock, fritz, and some ceramics from a live tank should I be good to pour water in and get going?
I would say get the tank up and running and start adding some beneficial bacteria to help start the process off... Clowns are hardy fish but no need to stress them out if you can avoid it so the benifical bacteria should help. lighting can be a little pricey if you want to go with something fancy maybe look at b kessel or radions…. That should be able to let you grow any type of coral you want to later. I would suggest getting some Hanna checkers these are great for long term testing

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G

4. Filter Basket
7. Live Rock
8. Heater
9. Sand
10. Jebao Wavemaker
11. Bag of Salt
13. Bottle of Fritz 9
14. ATO
15. ATO Reservoir

Get a lid. Clown fish can jump out believe it or not

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah mine treads the top of the water like a shark when I’m near the tank. She actually is the bully of the tank.
Yep my old pair (one that bit the f outta me all the time) did that too! My new pair are actually really peaceful and dont have that nasty temper. Clowns are probably the weirdest fish in this hobby!

OP
OP
A

aggiejames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you will need RO/DI water. Either get a maker from bulk reef supply or buy from local fish store (LFS). Conditioner in tap water doesnt work for salt at all where as you can get away with it in fresh water
I got an RODI unit with some filters. I just changed them all so the unit is brand new.

I also got some red sea coral salt pro to make my first 20 gallons. Looks like it may last me 40 or so gallons so I will need to buy some more soon.

OP
OP
A

aggiejames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say get the tank up and running and start adding some beneficial bacteria to help start the process off... Clowns are hardy fish but no need to stress them out if you can avoid it so the benifical bacteria should help. lighting can be a little pricey if you want to go with something fancy maybe look at b kessel or radions…. That should be able to let you grow any type of coral you want to later. I would suggest getting some Hanna checkers these are great for long term testing
So cycle with or without fish? I figured with the live rock, the ceramics, and the fritz I shouldn't see a big cycle?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an RODI unit with some filters. I just changed them all so the unit is brand new.

I also got some red sea coral salt pro to make my first 20 gallons. Looks like it may last me 40 or so gallons so I will need to buy some more soon.
Sounds like youre off to a good start!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back