Need help.

Brandonsegula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the apex is the best. Hands down. What else is out there that is good and isn't as expensive. I'm working with a budget.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have good or cheap. However you can't have them both. Go with the tried and proven Apex product. Even if it cost more up front, it will be cheaper in the long run. Don't ask me how I know, but I do.

OP
OP
Brandonsegula

Brandonsegula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have good or cheap. However you can't have them both. Go with the tried and proven Apex product. Even if it cost more up front, it will be cheaper in the long run. Don't ask me how I know, but I do.

Will the apex jr. Be beneficial to start out with?

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has a comparison table of the Apex systems here. The Apex Classic system is very complete and can save you a few hundred bucks of the new version.

Before going further, sit down and decide why you want a controller and what you want it to do, then think about what you may want to do with it in the future. Once you know that you can start to look at controllers.

For a basic system with limited capabilities, the Apex Jr. isn't bad. I've heard some good things about reef angel as well.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefkeeper Lite is limited to 4 modules. NET module does not count in module limit though. The programming and function are basically the same with some limitations over the RKE and Archon. The modules are compatible with the RKE. Most are compatible with the Archon if you ever decide to upgrade. The NET and RD1 modules are not compatible with the Archon at this time. Those are not needed with the Archon as it had net connectivity built in including wifi.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, think about what you want to control. Then leave space for three things.That don't come to mind right now. Once you get a controller you will never want a tank without one.

OP
OP
Brandonsegula

Brandonsegula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has a comparison table of the Apex systems here. The Apex Classic system is very complete and can save you a few hundred bucks of the new version.

Before going further, sit down and decide why you want a controller and what you want it to do, then think about what you may want to do with it in the future. Once you know that you can start to look at controllers.

For a basic system with limited capabilities, the Apex Jr. isn't bad. I've heard some good things about reef angel as well.

What are the best things to control other than your lights and heater

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the best things to control other than your lights and heater
Other than what you mentioned I control my return pump, Calcuim reactor pump, skimmer pump, ATO pump, auto water change pumps, DI tank refill solenoid, skimmer swabbie and biopellet reactor pump. Also I have the power supplies for my MP10's controlled by the controller.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all you are going to do with a controller is control your lights and heater, then you can save some money and use a plain digital timer for the lights and a Ranco controller for the heater.

At their most basic level, aquarium controllers do 3 basic functions: Measure (temp, pH, etc,) turn power on and off to devices, and send you notifications. Their real power comes in the ability to program what to do based on the sensor input. Some potential examples are:
  • lights on and off
    • change the timing based on season
    • Control dimming for dimmable fixtures
  • Heaters
  • Measure temperature
    • Track temperature over the day so you can see excessive variations
    • Send you an alert if the tank is overheating or getting too cold (i.e. a heater has broken)
    • Turn on fans and or turn off lights if the tank is getting too hot
  • Control an ATO pump
  • Measure salinity to warn you if your ATO pump has gone haywire
  • Measure water levels with float switches
    • Control ATO pumps
    • Turn off skimmer when the sump level rises
    • Turn off skimmer if the reservoir is full
    • Turn off ATO if sump level too high
    • Send an alert of an impending overflow
    • Send an alert when your ATO reservoir is low
  • Water sensors to warn of flooding
  • Control dosing pumps
    • turn off dosing pumps if the return pump is not running so you don't overdose your sump
  • Control variable speed powerheads.
  • Control solenoids for ATO reservoirs, RO/DI systems, Automatic water changes, etc
  • Sense switches:
    • Automatically turn on sump lights when you open the door
    • put tank in 'feed mode'
    • turn off pumps for water changes
  • Measure flow in pipes
  • Monitor device current/power to let you know if a device (pump, heater) has failed or is on when it shouldn't be, or to see overall power consumption
  • Allow remote viewing of tank parameters
There are more, I'm sure, but I'm sure you get the idea. Controllers are not essential, but they give flexibility and additional safety and security when you can't be there to run your tank 24/7.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back