Need help

Napoliandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.
I recently upgrading my tank to a 75 gallon. I have a aqua ultraviolet uv plumbed into the return line and noticed last night that the force going into the uv is a lot stronger than coming out. I did a test to find out gph coming from the return line. Into the tank and I did this because the flow cow coming from the returns is very weak. I calculated only 350gph. When I put my hand on the piping going to the uv, you can feel the force of the pump, but when you feel the piping coming from the uv, you can barely feel it. I believe that I did something wrong when I installed the uv, but it was plumbed exactly like in my 37 gallon. What can possibly be happening. The uv was just recently cleaned, so I don’t believe it’s that. My pump is running out 100% which is not good for the uv. It’s only supposed to be between 409 and 700 gph according to the chart on aqua ultraviolet website. I’m thinking I should’ve ran a separate line or maybe use either a spitter with two pumps or a manifold. Can anyone give me your thoughts. I can use the help right now. Please see plumbing pictures below.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on what I am seeing in the pictures you posted it looks like there's some pinching in the black tubing going to the UV sterilizor. It also looks like the fitting the tubing attaches to is reducing the plumbing diameter a fair amount. I don't know how easy this would be buy my suggestion would be to redo the plumbing from the pump to the UV with larger diameter tubing with a larger diameter and try to reduce the number of fittings, especiall the 90s

OP
OP
Napoliandy

Napoliandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on what I am seeing in the pictures you posted it looks like there's some pinching in the black tubing going to the UV sterilizor. It also looks like the fitting the tubing attaches to is reducing the plumbing diameter a fair amount. I don't know how easy this would be buy my suggestion would be to redo the plumbing from the pump to the UV with larger diameter tubing with a larger diameter and try to reduce the number of fittings, especiall the 90s
I’m actually thinking a manifold for a seperate pump to just take care of the uv. It’s not the tubing that is the problem. A lot of force comes through it. I can feel it when I touch it. When I put my hand on the pvc going out the uv I barely feel anything. A friend also suggested putting the uv vertical. It’s just weird because I didn’t have that problem with the 37 gallon. Same setup and even more elbows.

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also remove the 2 elbows after your uv and turn the uv 45 degrees and add one 45 degree connector to the union near the return line

OP
OP
Napoliandy

Napoliandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Just 3/4 hard plumbed. It’s soft plumbed going in
I’m actually thinking a manifold for a seperate pump to just take care of the uv. It’s not the tubing that is the problem. A lot of force comes through it. I can feel it when I touch it. When I put my hand on the pvc going out the uv I barely feel anything. A friend also suggested putting the uv vertical. It’s just weird because I didn’t have that problem with the 37 gallon. Same setup and even more elbows.
No. Just
Is it a 1” to 3/4” barb on your return line?

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can remove the elbow and reducer from your return line and add one threaded union with your barb and soft plumb it from there

OP
OP
Napoliandy

Napoliandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can remove the elbow and reducer from your return line and add one threaded union with your barb and soft plumb it from there
I just looked at the uv tubing adapter. The hole is like a 1/2 in. No wonder there’s no pressure in the uv and the tank. I had it hard plumbed on my other tank. That makes so much sense now. Ty for your input.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well, I would interperet the vibration in the hose as indication the water is being restricted there. Can you pull the hose off the barbed hose fitting and measure the actual flow out of the fitting?

OP
OP
Napoliandy

Napoliandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I would interperet the vibration in the hose as indication the water is being restricted there. Can you pull the hose off the barbed hose fitting and measure the actual flow out of the fitting?
There definitely is. I cut the adapter to the size of the hose because it had segments. Still the same.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back