Need ID / Help on this

QBang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. First time post here. I have a 20gal JBJ Cube that is about 10 months old. Things are going great. I had some algae problems and did a 3 day blackout but this just came back. (I did lose a small fish during the blackout for some reason so there was a small ammo that is not showing in the Nitrate reading but other than that everything else is great.

Its actually Red-ish in color so I thought maybe Cyano and it doesn't look dark/brown like the dinos I had when I first started the tank. It is photosynthetic as it seems to go away at night. It comes back in the morning after the AI Prime comes on (not from any outside light cracking in from the window.) These pictures are right at the end of a ChemiClean treatment (LFS Suggested) and as you can see it didn't seem to affect this at all. I usually do my own testing but also attached are my numbers from my LFS last weekend. They had me start dosing this week because of the low Alk, calc and Mg. I have been doing my own RO/DI and weekly water changes for about 6 months.

What is this and/or what would anyone suggest as my next step. I'm concerned my LFS might be directing me in to many directions.

CloseUp-40.jpg Numbers.jpg Reef20-25.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi. First time post here. I have a 20gal JBJ Cube that is about 10 months old. Things are going great. I had some algae problems and did a 3 day blackout but this just came back. (I did lose a small fish during the blackout for some reason so there was a small ammo that is not showing in the Nitrate reading but other than that everything else is great.

Its actually Red-ish in color so I thought maybe Cyano and it doesn't look dark/brown like the dinos I had when I first started the tank. It is photosynthetic as it seems to go away at night. It comes back in the morning after the AI Prime comes on (not from any outside light cracking in from the window.) These pictures are right at the end of a ChemiClean treatment (LFS Suggested) and as you can see it didn't seem to affect this at all. I usually do my own testing but also attached are my numbers from my LFS last weekend. They had me start dosing this week because of the low Alk, calc and Mg. I have been doing my own RO/DI and weekly water changes for about 6 months.

What is this and/or what would anyone suggest as my next step. I'm concerned my LFS might be directing me in to many directions.

CloseUp-40.jpg Numbers.jpg Reef20-25.jpg
It’s cyano bacteria and generally occurs when nitrate and phosphate are elevated and I never did trust the spin test machine but also caused by over feeding, lack of skimming and filtration, bright lighting as examples
You can blow loose with turkey baster and/or siphon up

OP
OP
QBang

QBang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s cyano bacteria and generally occurs when nitrate and phosphate are elevated and I never did trust the spin test machine but also caused by over feeding, lack of skimming and filtration, bright lighting as examples
You can blow loose with turkey baster and/or siphon up
ok thanks!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%
Back