Need Ideas for a Mixing Station in High Vis Area!

miltonkl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to build a mixing station but all the examples I'm finding that folk around here have built are conveniently hidden away in garages or utility closets. The only place I have to put it is right in my kitchen/dining area beside the tank. As such, I need to find a way to either build it such that I can build a cabinet around it so it blends into the kitchen or design it such that it just isn't an eyesore.

Anyone else have to build your mixing station in a highly visible area and have some photos of some presentable designs?

OP
OP
miltonkl

miltonkl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No help to offer but a couple of questions:
How much water are you hoping to mix at a time (max)?
Where/how does your RO/DI work now,,, without salt mixing?

Currently I'm only running a 13g tank so I just make a few gallons at a time in a small container for manual water changes. Previously, I had a 75g tank and filled up a large brute that sat on wheels beside my kitchen counter with salt water and just never had RO on hand, but it was so unsightly and annoying to deal with it led to me taking a break from the hobby. Now I'm setting up a 40 gallon tank and know I need to find a way to make water that makes it a little more convenient and isn't an eyesore when I have company over. I'm thinking about ~20 gallons ro/salt each on hand would be a reasonable amount.

My RODI filter is hooked up under my kitchen sink and I drill a hole in the side of my kitchen cabinet to run it out on side and into whatever set up I do which will be at the end of the counter.

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you invest in nice plumbing and those nicer water tanks, it’s going to look bad next to the tank. I would focus on hiding it with cabinets or something along those lines or finding a way to move it to an adjacent wall

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if you invest in nice plumbing and those nicer water tanks, it’s going to look bad next to the tank. I would focus on hiding it with cabinets or something along those lines or finding a way to move it to an adjacent wall
Yeah,,, agreed.
To the OP, is this an apartment?
Any pictures of areas where you think this could possibly work out for you?
Garage with water heater or any water source?

OP
OP
miltonkl

miltonkl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah,,, agreed.
To the OP, is this an apartment?
Any pictures of areas where you think this could possibly work out for you?
Garage with water heater or any water source?
This is a 3 story townhome with units on either side, so everything is a bit cramped and the only other water sources don't have any space to store water or are on the opposite walls and floors of the townhome, so no good way to run the plumbing.

I fully expect I need to build this into a cabinet, but just looking for examples where others have had to do that. Most builds I see are side by side or have pipes and hoses sticking out because they're out of sight where that doesn't matter. Just hoping to find some inspiration for more compact/neat builds that people have done.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back