need ideas for electronics box, all welcome

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to make an electronics box for my new reef, i was initially thinking of just a normal rectangle box made out of 1/2" plywood but im struggling with the front, i am going to have the apex display, maxspect controller and ato controller screwed onto front. Just struggling with thinking of a cool way to mount the front to where it is easy to remove for access. I am also trying to figure out what people have done for the looks of the panel. I do not want any lighting, currently i was thinking of making entire front out of epoxy or coating plywood with epoxy, i would of course dye the epoxy with some sort of color. any thoughts, ideas, pictures are welcome. Not trying to have this be an art installation just want a little better look than i typically do.

Jim8o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

check link to my tank stand build. Might help?

I made mine out of 12mm ply, piano hinge and some desk cable entry bits.

OP
OP
dohc97

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like the ikea idea, but it is too big, this box will need to sit inside the stand above my ato reservoir. i believe i have about 14"x13" and a depth of about 10" to play with. The only reason my wife agreed to my upgrade was because i promised all equipment would fit inside stand, its working so far but i cant have a pile of electronics just sitting on bottom of stand. Im not tight on money but would prefer to build myself. i guess i mainly need help with the look of the front panel. what would make plywood look better? i previously made a box that was finished the same as the stand but i had it attached with screws and i want something easier to open.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this inexpensive bookshelf/cabinet and cut some holes in the back for the wires. Stands next to the tank and has two cloth drawers where I keep test kits and other stuff for quick access.

It's the apex classic and the display is on the wall

IMG_6360.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jim8o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like the ikea idea, but it is too big, this box will need to sit inside the stand above my ato reservoir. i believe i have about 14"x13" and a depth of about 10" to play with. The only reason my wife agreed to my upgrade was because i promised all equipment would fit inside stand, its working so far but i cant have a pile of electronics just sitting on bottom of stand. Im not tight on money but would prefer to build myself. i guess i mainly need help with the look of the front panel. what would make plywood look better? i previously made a box that was finished the same as the stand but i had it attached with screws and i want something easier to open.
You can get vaneer faces ply.. or stain/paint it. In my post above I stained and varnish.

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of doing one myself for the apex unit. I'm using an old stereo entertainment stand. Some thin plywood and drill a hole or 2 in it an bam run the apex wires through it and done.

OP
OP
dohc97

dohc97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the suggestions so far, i have been doing some house work so i kind of put on the back burner, think im going to do curbside pickup for some plywood and just get to build something. ill come up with something for front.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back