Need ideas/help for mounting lights

mystichrome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, first post here - normally post on NanoReef but frequently on here as well.

I have an IM20 Peninsula. I'm adding a 2nd AI prime to my tank but since there are no mounting brackets made for 2 lights I'm trying to make my own.

I'm TRYING to keep this as clean as possible obviously, and also trying to avoid mounting to the wall because I don't like that look at all.

This is what I came up with using an AI rigid mount and an aluminum plate - problem I've run into so far is that the aluminum plate is too malleable and bends when I place the AI prime at the far end (not physically attached to it yet) but I just placed it on top of the plate and it bends 3-4 inches downwards.

I have a few things bothering me

1) I COULD buy a piece of wood instead like a 1X3X(lenght of arm) and use that which I think will not bend with the weight of the light - BUT, will that be TOO much weight on the back glass of my IM with the AI piece mounted there?

2) If I switch to a stainless steel plate - It shouldnt bend as much right? And if so, then weight is a concern for me again, and also how do I even cut steel at home with basic tools.

3) Any way I can reinforce the aluminum the way it is now?

Open to any suggestions? Not in a rush to do this but just want to do it right and as clean as possible.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_6823.jpeg IMG_6820.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,don't use arm to mount,something is going to break ,whichever you decide mount securely to back of stand.
1/2" elec conduit ,painted works well,clamp to top and bottom of stand

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 34 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.2%
Back