Mounting Ideas for Coral Care Lights

Zeeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought two coral care lights for my 180 and am trying to come up with some mounting ideas. From what I've heard, these should not be mounted from the ceiling unless it's directly into a stud. In my location the studs aren't where they would need to be.

Noting that I am not mechanically inclined, here's what I'm thinking. Currently I have an RMS Rail for my XR15s. The thought is to get a second RMS Rail to put beside it. This way I can mount the coral care lights, and have the bonus of mounting the XR15s in sets of two mounted front to back rather than side to side.

For this setup, I would run lines down from the ceiling only to assist in support, but not to provide the actual support.

What I'd really like is something like this:
1710086180326.png

Only I don't think this is strong enough. It says it holds up to 66 lbs, but is made for drapes. If I could find something like this that's built a bit sturdier I'd be all over it.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I've thought of 8020 and using 2x4s, but again - not mechanically inclined.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you checked amazon? They have all kinds of options similar to what you post. Couple of examples below.

1710086924819.png
1710087114402.png

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arn’t you only talking about 30-40 pounds? If you really want ceiling mount, why not just bolt a 1x2 across the ceiling studs?

OP
OP
Z

Zeeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you checked amazon? They have all kinds of options similar to what you post. Couple of examples below.
I did, but to be honest I didn't know what search terms to use. Kept looking for light rod or light hanger.
Your post helped a lot. Even if I don't use the ones you suggested I I have good search terms now.
Thanks

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought two coral care lights for my 180 and am trying to come up with some mounting ideas. From what I've heard, these should not be mounted from the ceiling unless it's directly into a stud. In my location the studs aren't where they would need to be.

Noting that I am not mechanically inclined, here's what I'm thinking. Currently I have an RMS Rail for my XR15s. The thought is to get a second RMS Rail to put beside it. This way I can mount the coral care lights, and have the bonus of mounting the XR15s in sets of two mounted front to back rather than side to side.

For this setup, I would run lines down from the ceiling only to assist in support, but not to provide the actual support.

What I'd really like is something like this:
1710086180326.png

Only I don't think this is strong enough. It says it holds up to 66 lbs, but is made for drapes. If I could find something like this that's built a bit sturdier I'd be all over it.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I've thought of 8020 and using 2x4s, but again - not mechanically inclined.
Pretty heavy duty wall mount. Ignore the first mistake calling a 90 a 45..
Anyways .. enjoy:

Each Coralcare is 7kg.. 15.4 lbs.

OP
OP
Z

Zeeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to be found online that's made specifically for my purpose. Everything is not quite long enough, not quite strong enough, or doesn't fit Waterbox's 3/4" thickness. Here's what I think I'm going to do.

8020 10 series
2x24" for the floor
2x70" upright gives a height of 71".
1x74" length clears the length with about an inch wiggle room on either side.

OP
OP
Z

Zeeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty heavy duty wall mount. Ignore the first mistake calling a 90 a 45..
Anyways .. enjoy:

Each Coralcare is 7kg.. 15.4 lbs.

Really nice looking. Is that yours or did you share someone else's video? I'll assume it's yours.

Unfortunately, I have a huge panel window behind my tank, so this wouldn't work. Like you, I also don't want to go drilling into the back of my new cabinet.

I'm going with 8020s using the floor as a base.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice looking. Is that yours or did you share someone else's video? I'll assume it's yours.

Unfortunately, I have a huge panel window behind my tank, so this wouldn't work. Like you, I also don't want to go drilling into the back of my new cabinet.

I'm going with 8020s using the floor as a base.
No just a share.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Arn’t you only talking about 30-40 pounds? If you really want ceiling mount, why not just bolt a 1x2 across the ceiling studs?
^^^ This seems reasonable

Could also make that mount you were looking at out of electrical conduit. . . sort of like I did here. . .

1710102785034.png

Not sure how ridged the conduit would be given your tanks span. . . something to think about though.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I mounted my pair of gen 2 CoralCare fixtures from the ceiling and did not hit studs.
I used a 1-1/2" x 1" piece of oak and and used molly screws ( toggle bolts) to attach it to my ceiling.
Then I used 1" x 1" aluminum angle to bolt to the light fixtures.
All total , I may have $40 invested.

I also have a pair of 48" Reef Brite XHO's hanging from this as well as a Radion XR15.
THe CC fixtures and XHO have been hanging for 3+ years.

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea there are alternates to joists..

5/8ths drywall.
YMMV.....

Last edited:

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have access to an attic above the tank, you can drive smooth shank framing nails up through the drywall exactly where you want cables to hang, then go up there and lay 2x4 boards across the joists where those nails came through.

With that, you can run cable up there and secure it to the boards you laid across the joists. Trim rings like you see for pendant lights can give the area where the cable runs through a finished look.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back