OP
Gernader

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For what it’s worth it looks like all of those corals have acclimated to tanks already and started growing. None of them look like fresh wild corals so the frags should not be much of a risk if you have a good system. And yea prostrata is now lumped I’m under mille. The only difference I could ever tell was prostrata looked a little longer in the branches which isn’t a real way to I’d acros so probably why it’s the same now.
Yeah, the seller told me that these corals have been growing in his system over a year and fragged multiple times, but I decided to cancel the order since I think my tank isn’t quite ready for them yet!

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guesses

#1. A. Nasuta

#2 A. divaricata

# 3 A. valenciennesi or acuminata

#4 A. selago

#5 A. milliepora

#6 A. milliepora

#7 A. spathulata

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most likely some Indo colonies that just came in and are getting chopped, thus the reason for no names.
Dont make assumption base on nothing, just because i dont give fancy name doeant mean they are chop shop.

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those all appear to be maricultured pieces. If the seller doesn't know lineage (and maricultured pieces would not have lineage) then they are just Acropora and you definitely should not pay lineaged prices for them. They look nice and if the frags do well you should end up with some nice pieces. The last 3 appear to be Acropora millepora...
The last 3 are spathulata not mili. They have much thicker branches than milli

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last 3 are spathulata not mili. They have much thicker branches than milli
Thicker branches dont mean much
Only the last one is a spatty 5&6 are a. milliepora IMO, radial structure is different, 5&6 dont have pointed scale like radials, axial corallites are more exsert and tubular than spattys, also if 5&6 were spattys, that would be some insane PE.

Just my .02

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thicker branches dont mean much
Only the last one is a spatty 5&6 are a. milliepora IMO, radial structure is different, 5&6 dont have pointed scale like radials, axial corallites are more exsert and tubular than spattys, also if 5&6 were spattys, that would be some insane PE.

Just my .02
They are all spathulata, i have a lot of milli from indo to ausie and tonga. and i have alot of spathulata. I collect them so i know what they are.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see them all being spaths. The coralites near the tips are abundant and go from tiny to large down the branch when most mille I see have similar sized coralites near the tips. Also the axial coralites on most mille won’t be very fat and are mostly the same size. It is very hard to really see the coralites well on numbers one and two. Sometimes it’s hard to tell once they have acclimated to a tank and grown and your not seeing the whole colony. I am certainly no expert and am still learning To try and ID. I have never had good polyps extension on my spaths though, but that’s probably why it’s not a good way to I’d acros.

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can see them all being spaths. The coralites near the tips are abundant and go from tiny to large down the branch when most mille I see have similar sized coralites near the tips. Also the axial coralites on most mille won’t be very fat and are mostly the same size. It is very hard to really see the coralites well on numbers one and two. Sometimes it’s hard to tell once they have acclimated to a tank and grown and your not seeing the whole colony. I am certainly no expert and am still learning To try and ID. I have never had good polyps extension on my spaths though, but that’s probably why it’s not a good way to I’d acros.
BF9855CB-117F-408C-AF89-283DC25FCEC8.jpeg

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, still #5 and # 6 dont look like the aussie spaths Im used to seeing, esp the more exsert axials. Have you seen variations of morphology between indo/tonga spaths and the aussie's? because they look different to my eyes.

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmm, still #5 and # 6 dont look like the aussie spaths Im used to seeing, esp the more exsert axials. Have you seen variations of morphology between indo/tonga spaths and the aussie's? because they look different to my eyes.
I havent seen an indo or tonga spath before. I’ll be curious what they look like.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some of these from this seller as well. He sent healthy corals at good prices and didn’t try to slap a name on them and take pics that look like cartoons. Not sure why the hate?

I did get #5 and #6 too. #6 honestly looks more like a milli in my tank but I only have a small frag to judge from. I have a decent amount of Spaths but I’ve never seen one with as much polyp extension as #6. Should be interesting to see it grow. #5 has a bit different growth than my other spaths as well but the coloration is a pretty classic spath color to me.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back