Need immediate help/advice guys

perryxcore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a blk and white clown that is extremely territorial (she believes the tank belongs to her) and after I got her an anemone she's kinda just adopted that area as hers. I was thinking that since shes got this anemone now maybe she'll calm down towards other life (I knew this was a gamble) and after adding an urchin with no problems I thought I'd add a mandarin. I've always wanted a mandarin and now that the tank is four plus years old I figure there's enough copepods for it to munch away. Now the clown is nipping at the mandarin, not constantly, anytime the mandarin gets near the clown's area. I'm wondering if yall think its just the clown saying "stay outta my area!" or if its just not going to be okay with it at all.

I'm watching it closely and making mean gestures and faces at the clown but I want to know what you guys think, how long should I let the clown nip before taking the mandarin back to the LFS or if I should see if the situation settles itself out.

Thanks,
-perry

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Place a mirror on the outside of the tank near her territory. That will keep her busy and probably stop it all together.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding an anemone can sometimes make them even more territorial, as now, they have an anemone to protect!

We have a mated pair of B/W Occellaris, with a huge RBTA. In the past, they were housed in a 46 bowfront. If you even put your hands, anywhere in the tank, she'd attack. Sometimes, she'd actually draw blood! For the past, oh almost 2 years, they've been in a 200 gallon deep dimension. I've seen no aggression towards any other fish, or towards myself, since the move.

OP
OP
P

perryxcore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
she definitely attacks my hands for sure, hasn't drawn blood yet though! It is a smaller setup like your 46, just not a bowfront, the mandarins chilling on the other side of the tank right now, at least the clown isn't pursuing

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have? Does she have a mate or is it just her? Is the anemone in the middle of the tank or off to one side? If not, I would try moving the anemone over to one side to keep her a little more isolated.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's just protecting her area. I doubt that she will pay the least bit of attention to the Mandarin unless he/she swims into the clown's territory.

CJ

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back