Need input on a new water mixing station...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dom
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Dom

Theoretical Reef Keeper
View Badges
Joined
Apr 29, 2016
Messages
7,851
Reaction score
8,305
Location
NY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking at water storage solutions, I decided to go with a 40 gallon Brute garbage pail with lid. My plan is to build a stand tall enough so that I can get a 5 gallon bucket under it and have quick access to RODI water for water changes.

So I plan on installing a 1/2" bulkhead with a PVC valve as a tap for fast access to large quantities. But I also want to expand my gravity feed ATO to my tanks.

The plan is to have RODI tubing coming from the Brute to a central location and then split off to the float valves in each of the sumps.

I will also install a float valve in the Brute from the output of the RODI to avoid over-filling.

So my questions:

1. The tubing for an RODI system; it that 1/8" ?
2. Do they make bulkheads that small to install in the side of the pail?

Any other suggestions that I haven't considered?

Tanks:)
Dom
 
Bulkheads are made to be installed on flat surfaces. If the surface is not flat you can have leaks. Recommend you take a look at "uniseals" they work great on barrel type containers and buckets. Check out the video on this page: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/uniseal-bulkheads.html
 
Bulkheads are made to be installed on flat surfaces. If the surface is not flat you can have leaks. Recommend you take a look at "uniseals" they work great on barrel type containers and buckets. Check out the video on this page: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/uniseal-bulkheads.html


Cool suggestion. That solves the issue of connecting the spigot to the barrel. But what about connecting the 1/8" tubing so that I can feed water level floats in the sump? The smallest uniseal is 1/2".
 
Most all use 1/4 line. You can buy bulkheads from BRS that have the John guest style push connect. I used same float valve as above on my brute and so far no leaks.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 6 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new