Need input on Trident values vs. salfert values

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just calibrated after running for 48hrs my new (to me put I took it apart and got a repair kit) trident. Now I'm getting an 8.15DKH on it and I'm getting a 9.3DKH on salfert. Which if it's consistent doesn't rely matter cuz all I want is stable. But which do I trust more? Why such a drastic difference? My trident CA=467 MG=1389 while salfert is CA=420 and MG=1305.

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had the same thing happen to me once. I called Neptune and the rep told me, "Well who verifies the salifert tests are correct"? I always will double check and as long as I am within the 'normal' range, I don't worry too much about it.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happen to me once. I called Neptune and the rep told me, "Well who verifies the salifert tests are correct"? I always will double check and as long as I am within the 'normal' range, I don't worry too much about it.
Right well he does make a good point. I guess as long as the trident tells me 8.15 consistently I don't have a issues just wanna focus on getting it zoned in to in the future stay at a value with + or - 0.05. Dont know how hard this will be but if I can I wanna give SPS a try.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I calibrate mine every month or so to my salifert test kits.

Got a question do you allow your trident to sync a dos to correct your values if so what elements and what values and how has it been, if not why.
I know this was directed to another user but, I do.

It doses kalkwasser and it works great.

Do know how it works? It does not take a reading then dumps a bunch of addictive until it thinks it's satisfied.
This is how it works.
You set a dosing schedule. We're going to use kalkwasser as an example because that's what I use. Let's say you have it set to dose roughly a gallon a day. That gallon dosage is spread out in small increments.
You set the Trident to say 9.0 for your alkalinity. If it takes a reading and that reading is 9.5, it will dose a percentage less, which is user defined until the next reading. Now let's say that next reading is 8.5. It will go a percentage more until the next reading.

I hope that makes sense.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done spot testing back and forth with Hannah against the Trident. They had a similar differential to what you’re seeing with the Salifert Kits. Every time you calibrate your Trident with a new batch of reagent the readout will change slightly. It’s all part of instrumental and or test range. As long as your values are consistent and you’re not seeing swings all is well.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrate mine every month or so to my salifert test kits.

I know this was directed to another user but, I do.

It doses kalkwasser and it works great.

Do know how it works? It does not take a reading then dumps a bunch of addictive until it thinks it's satisfied.
This is how it works.
You set a dosing schedule. We're going to use kalkwasser as an example because that's what I use. Let's say you have it set to dose roughly a gallon a day. That gallon dosage is spread out in small increments.
You set the Trident to say 9.0 for your alkalinity. If it takes a reading and that reading is 9.5, it will dose a percentage less, which is user defined until the next reading. Now let's say that next reading is 8.5. It will go a percentage more until the next reading.

I hope that makes sense.
Yes this makes sense. Couple more questions for you.
1. what kalkwasser do you use
2. do you have kalkwasser in a reservoir getting feed in from your dos?

Depending on your answers I have more questions :)

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done spot testing back and forth with Hannah against the Trident. They had a similar differential to what you’re seeing with the Salifert Kits. Every time you calibrate your Trident with a new batch of reagent the readout will change slightly. It’s all part of instrumental and or test range. As long as your values are consistent and you’re not seeing swings all is well.
Gotcha, I also spent more to get the neptune reagent compared to ABC and it came with calibration fluid that I used so I wasn't sure if I did it wrong or what. never hurts to ask doe. which is better in your opinion salfert or hanna? lets say for ease of use, and accuracy.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, I also spent more to get the neptune reagent compared to ABC and it came with calibration fluid that I used so I wasn't sure if I did it wrong or what. never hurts to ask doe. which is better in your opinion salfert or hanna? lets say for ease of use, and accuracy.
I’ve used all three. For alkalinity and pH they’re essentially the same. For nitrate and phosphate, Hannah is considerably better. For Calcium and Magnesium, Hannah is very accurate but the testing procedure makes it error prone so I’d go with Salifert there. I’ve also compared Hannah and Salifert head to head and they were fairly comparable. The trident is going to differ from these readings based largely on the calibration fluid. No big deal.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes this makes sense. Couple more questions for you.
1. what kalkwasser do you use
2. do you have kalkwasser in a reservoir getting feed in from your dos?

Depending on your answers I have more questions :)
I use Mrs. Wages pickling lime (for the last 20 years)

I have a kalkwasser reactor. The dos feeds the reactor which feeds the tank.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used all three. For alkalinity and pH they’re essentially the same. For nitrate and phosphate, Hannah is considerably better. For Calcium and Magnesium, Hannah is very accurate but the testing procedure makes it error prone so I’d go with Salifert there. I’ve also compared Hannah and Salifert head to head and they were fairly comparable. The trident is going to differ from these readings based largely on the calibration fluid. No big deal.
Gotcha all the info I needed to hear thanks!

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Mrs. Wages pickling lime (for the last 20 years)

I have a kalkwasser reactor. The dos feeds the reactor which feeds the tank.
PERFECT! So I just bought Mrs. Wages from my local farm and fleet for cheap and wanted to give it a try so couple more questions.
So did you calculate evaporation and thats how you input to the dos?
Also how much are you dripping in through the reactor and what is the effect on your PH?
I am getting my calibration packets for my probes and I want to see what my PH is before and then try to cut my AFR dosing in half and replace the half with kalwasser for the PH boost & cheapness of the product.
Wouldn't suppose you know what your PH runs without kalk and with?

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run kalkwasser in tandem with a calcium reactor. That's going to be an important piece of information.
A big reason I use kalkwasser is to combat the pH lowering effect from the reactor.

So did you calculate evaporation and thats how you input to the dos?
Nope. That's too much work.
TBH. I don't really remember how I figured on my initial dosing. Before the reactor there was a 5 gallon bucket. The reactor was mostly to allow for more room.

Also how much are you dripping in through the reactor and what is the effect on your PH?
Roughly 3000 ml a day. A little shy of a gallon.
About .05 on the pH.

Wouldn't suppose you know what your PH runs without kalk and with?
My diurnal swing is 8.0 to 8.1 with.
Without about 7.95 to 8.05

I know because that's how I realized the reactor was still closed once after doing some maintenance.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run kalkwasser in tandem with a calcium reactor. That's going to be an important piece of information.
A big reason I use kalkwasser is to combat the pH lowering effect from the reactor.

Nope. That's too much work.
TBH. I don't really remember how I figured on my initial dosing. Before the reactor there was a 5 gallon bucket. The reactor was mostly to allow for more room.

Roughly 3000 ml a day. A little shy of a gallon.
About .05 on the pH.

My diurnal swing is 8.0 to 8.1 with.
Without about 7.95 to 8.05

I know because that's how I realized the reactor was still closed once after doing some maintenance.
Gotcha so not crazy difference on the ph boost about 0.5 extra wjth the kalk. Wondering how much the calcium and Alk boost is cux j wanna try it at a small dose to replace some of my evaporation but don’t wanna throw my Alk and calcium out of line.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 82 77.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back