Need input or maybe just confirmation.

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, hope your tanks are thriving and corals are growing.

I have had some torches and hammers not looking to good lately. Been doing some changes in equipment and sump and nutrients been rising some.

Tank info:
360L DT / 160L sump

Temp 25C
Ph 8.0-8.2
Salinity.1.026
Alk. 8.4
Ca. 420
Mg.1410

NO3. 8-10
PO4. 0.1

Currently I have lowered the light, and have run some rowa to get PO4 down from 0.3. Also tweaking my doser to get alk as stable as possible, measuring alk and po4 every night at the same time.

I guess I'm looking for confirmation, that I'm on the right track and just need to adjust and keep things where they are and give it time.
My only real concern is, my light is quite low and wonder if I could possible have to little light and not prividing enough energy.

Feel free to ask for additional info.

RunBikeSwim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only real concern is, my light is quite low and wonder if I could possible have to little light and not prividing enough energy.
You'll need a par meter to rectify this (if it is the problem), otherwise you'll be second guessing

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They might be fine once you get things stabilized. What light are you using?

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need a par meter to rectify this (if it is the problem), otherwise you'll be second guessing
I have a seneye
They might be fine once you get things stabilized. What light are you using?
Using 2 x Xr15 G4 pro.

One of my biggest issues/concerns are the light. Guess I've been scarred by all the acclimation/bleaching stories and might gone to low in intensity.
I've never had PAR readings above 100 at the torches but still saw what looked like bleaching, but guess it could have been for other reasons.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torches can adjust to fairly high par.

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running radion gen 4 xr30 at 58% power . Torches like between 150-250 parr . But I have learned change is bad consistency is good. Most things will adjust if there is not changes

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running radion gen 4 xr30 at 58% power . Torches like between 150-250 parr . But I have learned change is bad consistency is good. Most things will adjust if there is not changes
I'm currently set at 35% and just started a 30 days acclimation, so I'm a bit lower than that.
I really have no clue if I they are better off with this lower lighting for now, or if they would prefer a bit more...

Dedicated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, hope your tanks are thriving and corals are growing.

I have had some torches and hammers not looking to good lately. Been doing some changes in equipment and sump and nutrients been rising some.

Tank info:
360L DT / 160L sump

Temp 25C
Ph 8.0-8.2
Salinity.1.026
Alk. 8.4
Ca. 420
Mg.1410

NO3. 8-10
PO4. 0.1

Currently I have lowered the light, and have run some rowa to get PO4 down from 0.3. Also tweaking my doser to get alk as stable as possible, measuring alk and po4 every night at the same time.

I guess I'm looking for confirmation, that I'm on the right track and just need to adjust and keep things where they are and give it time.

Feel free to ask for additional info.
I’m guessing it’s the po. Every time I have problems with my torch or euphilia it’s generally surrounded by po or all. How long has it been since you dropped from .3 to .1?

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing it’s the po. Every time I have problems with my torch or euphilia it’s generally surrounded by po or all. How long has it been since you dropped from .3 to .1?
Just a few days ago, so I think it is to soon to tell. I'm going to test every day for a while and run rowa on/off untill I get it at 0.05 and can keep it there. I just doubled my fuge and started dosing chaetogro as my chaet wasn't doing well, which might have been the reason for the high po4.

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently set at 35% and just started a 30 days acclimation, so I'm a bit lower than that.
I really have no clue if I they are better off with this lower lighting for now, or if they would prefer a bit more...
I would probably kick it up to at least 40% to start

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any specific PAR you would target? Intensity doesn't say much, unless you know the light, and the placement of the corals.
Shoot for 150 on torches to start acclimation off at. Should max out between 200 and 250.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot for 150 on torches to start acclimation off at. Should max out between 200 and 250.
Wouldn't a jump from 80-ish to 150 be a massive jump? This would also have an effect on everything else in the tank.

kzenoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, from my current intensity and to 150 PAR, and maybe go from there to 200?
Yes that’s what mine are at and they are happy
295B0B42-762C-4BE1-8223-9806A738A36E.jpeg
E5BF683D-284B-47AC-AB2B-4C15A7CAAC31.jpeg

Dedicated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few days ago, so I think it is to soon to tell. I'm going to test every day for a while and run rowa on/off untill I get it at 0.05 and can keep it there. I just doubled my fuge and started dosing chaetogro as my chaet wasn't doing well, which might have been the reason for the high po4.
Definitely could have been the chaeto hurting you. Try to continue to lower in small increments until you get back to your comfort zone. And pray you lose nothing along the way. Best of luck!

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely could have been the chaeto hurting you. Try to continue to lower in small increments until you get back to your comfort zone. And pray you lose nothing along the way. Best of luck!
I think so.
Guess I need to figure out how to grow chaeto or skip having a refugium. Looks like some of the chaeto is turning white again...

Back