Need light info for deep tank

Stinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok folks, I need a new lighting fixture for under $500.00 . I want to add worm/polyps mushrooms and other stuff. My setup now is a 110 gallon tall tank. measures 4 FT lg x 18 in wd x 28 in Deep . I have a aquamaxx 275 gal rated skimmer. 30 gal sump. Now if I wish to add any type of coral to this tank what will i need ? I currently have a 4 bulb T5 fixture on tank now 2 blue 2 white. and one 4 FT lg sunlight 40w bulb in single fixture. Will 2-250w MH 's and 4 T5 blues for color with maybe moon leds be the way to go. I'm hearing you can get MH in 14k or 20k Blue tints. I love color and plenty of shimmer effect. :still_dreaming:

daddyw2boysforsale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building the same tank that you have. I was planning on using Leds. I have been waiting for the new Kessil 350's to come out. I plan on doing a mixed reef. What does your aquascape look like ? I bought a hundred pounds of marco rock to make tall pillars to hopefully get the par. Let me know what you find. Rapid led has a 48 light kit with 40 degree optics for under 500.

walkerbrody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 110 x-tall that is 48x18x31. I made my own lighting by using 2 m59 magnetic ballast and 2 400w mh 20k cheap chinese bulbs. I've used this setup for 4 years now, changing the bulbs yearly. I have had great sps growth even at the bottom of the tank and have $150 or less in my lighting.

I just noticed we are both in central Alabama. Thats pretty unusual lol

OP
OP
Stinger

Stinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
latest 002.jpg
latest 001.jpg

daddyw2boysforsale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Murfman i do like thosse lights. How long have you been running them? Stinger thats cool how long has your tank tank been up and running?

OP
OP
Stinger

Stinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tanks been running 2 months and counting. gotta think slowly , tall tank 110gal , looks empty. fixing to add some more cured rock then let it go another 2 months to settle. then comes 1 yellow tang, and a few more coral after i get some MH installed, only have 4 bulb t5's right now.

Last edited:

daddyw2boysforsale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Murf , your tank is a dream come true!! wow , if i just hit the lottery?? :bigsmile: i could have a tank like you! +1

Stinger Isn't that the true..... Murf i went thru the entire build thread you posted.. Did the par readings come from the evo lights you use? I am still looking for some lights that will reach the bottom of my tank so i can put clams and sps and lps frags on the bottom of my tank..

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stinger Isn't that the true..... Murf i went thru the entire build thread you posted.. Did the par readings come from the evo lights you use? I am still looking for some lights that will reach the bottom of my tank so i can put clams and sps and lps frags on the bottom of my tank..

Yes, I posted up par readings using the Evos. ReefKoi uses my readings on his site too. 96 at the sand bed, at 30"

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
? were can i get Evos, gow many do i need for
18 in wd 4 ft long tank 30 in dp. and HOW MUCH $$$$$$$

2 of the 100 watt dimmable ones should cover that. around 610+ shipping.
ive been running the evo 14k 120 gen1 since they came out i like the 20k abit better though

OP
OP
Stinger

Stinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nixer, were is a good place to purchase these dimmable evo 20k's , and are the just in 100w or 120/150 I want to add maybe 4 t-5 actinic bulbs to a fixture if possible.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 45.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 71 46.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.4%
Back