Need New T5 Bulbs?

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
1,698
Reaction score
1,175
Location
WA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, lighting is something that I'm no expert on. I have a Nova Extreme 48" T-5 6 Light Fixture with Lunar Lights. I have just restarted my system, but I know that I needed new lights 4 years ago when my tank went down and I knew more about it then than I do now, I'm relearning everything. I believe I have 3 white and 3 blue. Is it more important in terms of having algae problems to change out the blue or white first or do both wearing out contribute to the problem? Right now my tank is going to be FOWLR, but I'm probably going to be getting some soft corals in the next 6 months. If I do get any sps it will be way down the road. Thanks!
 
I no longer run T5's, but when I did I'd replace all bulbs every year. I really like ATI bulbs....a combination of Blue Plus, Aquablue Special, a Coral Plus and a Purple Plus.

And while running a FOWLR, not need to replace bulbs....it will be the corals that want the good lights.
 
+1 to redfishbluefish, at this point there is no need to change the lamps, do that when you start getting coral. Every tank goes through the 'uglies', algae cycles that will go away with time, filtration, and a decent cleanup crew.
 
Thank you! In that case I can wait a little longer to change them out!

I no longer run T5's, but when I did I'd replace all bulbs every year. I really like ATI bulbs....a combination of Blue Plus, Aquablue Special, a Coral Plus and a Purple Plus.
For future reference and so that I don't have to come back and ask again, how would you combine and place the bulbs in a six light fixture like mine?

Thanks!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new