fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one...

fish tank 1990.JPG

Spring semester college tank 1990, my third attempt at saltwater.

38 gallon tank, under gravel filter, HOB Hagen Aquaclear....looks like the same filter I got around 1981. The conch shell and knobby coral piece were picked up in the Bahamas and I still have them. Sadly this tank was short lived, it busted a seam and leaked quickly when I was on spring break, my roommate rescued the fish but they perished at the LFS.

I upgraded to another 38 gallon in the summer of 1990, made a trickle filter out of a 10 gallon tank with supplies from a company called Scott's Tru Reef, return pump was a Rena, overflow box was the case for a Supreme HOB filter. I had the stock Pen Plax hood light and an additional grow light.

I still ran a UG filter. I didn't have any real live rock but did seed the tank with a couple of stones from the Rhode Island shoreline. I had lots of various pods and algae from that seeding. I had way to many juvenile fish in that tank, rainbow wrasse, picasso trigger, blue damsel, panther grouper, American eel, mandarin and yes....a yellow tang. I even used the tank for a behavior study for one of my classes. I don't remember any fish losses except for maybe a delicate fish or two when I was setting it up over the summer. I would do testing every week and WC's every other week I believe....tap water with declorinator. I don't remember any high ammonia spikes, I don't think I tested nitrates. During the winter break I kept the tank running without the fish (I was in a house with roommates). I packed up the fish and some of the rocks/bioballs and setup multiple tanks for housing at my parent's home. I shut the tank down in the spring of 1992 after moving it twice and brought all the fish to a LFS for credit.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early ‘90’s
I think I ran power compacts with an undergravel filter and a Skilter HOB filter. ...shortly after I upgraded to a Seaclone ...Softy dominated with anything I could collect. The yellow tang and fish came from my original FWLR tank.
7665F48E-DA95-4FDE-8A69-07DA38EB097B.jpeg

and my first dawn and dusk lighting schedule
5A6C9507-B5C0-4568-B285-2ADB6EF4EB3A.jpeg

OP
OP
fishkeepinginasia

fishkeepinginasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tanks cost next to nothing to set up then because we used HOB filters, I used an undergravel filter which I still use. Lighting was any fixture you had laying around from fresh water days and there were no submersible anything. "powerheads" sat above the water and being GFCIs were not invented we had to unplug everything before we put our hands in the tank.

My first gravel was blue driveway which I took from my neighbors driveway when he wasn't looking I presume as no salt water gravel existed.

The dead corals we used for decoration were not available in stores because no stores sold anything salt water. Fish were sold in "toy Stores" and the fish were called Toy Fish.

I know I collected my coral in the Caribbean and Hawaii and bleached it in my hotel room to the distaste of the hotel staff. I carried it home on my lap on the plane smelling like Clorox.

The rest of it I bought in furniture stores as it was used for decoration on tables.

Food was fresh water flakes by Wardleys which I always supplemented with fresh fish and I used to collect tadpoles, daphnie and earth worms.

Here is an article I posted on here about those days and I speak on the history of the hobby.

This is so interesting. They were really sold at toy stores? The article is super helpful too. Thank you for sharing all this. These are exactly the sort of details I was after.

OP
OP
fishkeepinginasia

fishkeepinginasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so interesting. They were really sold at toy stores? The article is super helpful too. Thank you for sharing all this. These are exactly the sort of details I was after.
Yep, lol my first saltwater fish were bought at Kings dime store and the fish were down stairs in the toy department. Lol great times.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one of those Supreme filters, bough used from a LFS. When I upgraded to a DIY trickle filter in 1990 I used the box for my overflow.

I'll look for pics later, but I don't expect to find many....phones took crappy pictures back then.:p
That’s pretty funny .... pump died on mine decades ago, and the siphon tubes got lost .... but I still have the box also.

D5F5E41E-7C09-4837-89AE-BDFC133B0DE9.jpeg

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know how exactly that nitrate kit worked??? I've never seen anything like it
I apologize to all who took my post seriously. I thought it would be obvious it was a joke, but I see some thought it was real.

The first pic is an enema device, the second is some attempt at a typewriter and the third is something else silly.

In my defense, I thought me saying Hanna ultra low range nitrate kit and 1924 would surely give it away.

Jim Carrey Reaction GIF

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize to all who took my post seriously. I thought it would be obvious it was a joke, but I see some thought it was real.

The first pic is an enema device, the second is some attempt at a typewriter and the third is something else silly.

In my defense, I thought me saying Hanna ultra low range nitrate kit and 1924 would surely give it away.

Jim Carrey Reaction GIF
That third one is a violet ray device, one of those snake oil magic "medical" devices supposed to heal anything and everything. Definitely looks cool though when they are running and the glass glows under high voltage

Last edited:

stevewright1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20210522_184724.jpg

Tank set up in the mid 90s and had it for about 8 years . Image from 1998 I think
very basic set up
Air driven protien skimmer (Red Sea Berlin model IIRC?)
T8/10s tubes x 6 all 40 watts tubes , 2 Actinic and 4 x white 10k (Sylvania brand I am sure)
Cannister filter in cabinet with coral rubble and Siporax brand sintered glass rings in two trays along with filter pads etc (Nitrates hovered around 40- 50ppm and the corals seemed OK with that)
corals outgrew the tank as you can probably see.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a sea turtle back when laws didn't exist
I did not have one but baby sea turtles were sold in a huge aquarium store in Manhattan in the 70s for $50.00 "Aquarium Stock Company" and it spanned two blocks near the World Trade Center.

Very cute and I am so glad I didn't buy one. I guess I would have let it go in a year when it was larger than my tank.

This was one of the first bottles of copper available. It was mixed with formalin and was made in Brooklyn.
I still have it and it is the only bottle of copper I have ever had.

I am still running some of these, probably from the 80s

I have been using Diatom filters from the 60s.

Skullring

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first saltwater aquarium was in about 1994. It was a standard 4 foot long 55 gallon with a hood and stand. I ran 4 T-12 vho bulbs with an ice cap electronic ballast. I had an acrylic sump with a Red Sea Berlin protein skimmer.
Some of the corals I had were elegance, pagoda, lobophyllia, hammers, colt, foxglove and many others. My favorite part about the time was you could buy full colonies for around $30. It was still a relatively expensive hobby back then.

A5CACD6A-9331-4B40-B9D9-F6DD54D3EB84.jpeg 7D55633E-3999-42B5-B95A-7A650F1A170A.jpeg
A5CACD6A-9331-4B40-B9D9-F6DD54D3EB84.jpeg
7D55633E-3999-42B5-B95A-7A650F1A170A.jpeg

Last edited:

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you and the NoahTheTurtle dude team up with a huge documentary played on PBS featuring 1960s to 90s tanks with the 10 fish he has video on.

Fish Bass GIF

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not have one but baby sea turtles were sold in a huge aquarium store in Manhattan in the 70s for $50.00 "Aquarium Stock Company" and it spanned two blocks near the World Trade Center.

Very cute and I am so glad I didn't buy one. I guess I would have let it go in a year when it was larger than my tank.

This was one of the first bottles of copper available. It was mixed with formalin and was made in Brooklyn.
I still have it and it is the only bottle of copper I have ever had.

I am still running some of these, probably from the 80s

I have been using Diatom filters from the 60s.

Hey Paul, did you ever used the filter that attached to that powerhead? I remember had some of that in the 80

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used that for many years to feed my reverse undergravel filter but I don't remember what I did with it probably 20 years ago.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back