Need placement info for these wwc corals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

miserkris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where to generally place these corals with respect to lights.I have 2 reef radiance led pendants a foot above dt.
Mine's a 75g.
Thx....

Gold litho
Blue litho
Purple queen litho
Gold pavona

Mint Cyphastrea
Pepper mint Cyphastrea
Bling bling Cyphastrea
Lime green Cyphastrea
Brick red Cyphastrea
Hawk eye Cyphastrea(even in low light this is growing slow)

sureal00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of those grow well in medium to low lighting. Cyphastrea likes shading.I have all off mine about 4 inches off the sand and they are happy

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of those grow well in medium to low lighting. Cyphastrea likes shading.I have all off mine about 4 inches off the sand and they are happy
^ What he said.

Some of these can probably take more light than usual if you want faster growth like the Gold Litho/Bling Bling/Lime Green. You will have to experiment with the LEDs as we keep them mainly under T5.

OP
OP
miserkris

miserkris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

Wwc hawk eye cyphastrea isn't growing under shade or low/med lighting. It's alive but the edges are curving upward.

This was vibrant when I got it looked like a hawk's eye lol. Now the eyes are smaller and not very colorful.

What's wrong here?Other stuff I got from Wwc is doing great.

Where do u keep your hawk eye ?
Thx
Kris

underwood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak to the hawkeye, but I have the other cyphastreas that you listed and I am getting good growth under LEDs.

Mint Cyphastrea - I have this in my kids' tank which is basically actinics with, at most, 20% whites. Equivalent is probably low in the tank where it would catch some indirect light.
Pepper mint Cyphastrea - low in the tank... grows like crazy
Bling bling Cyphastrea - I have mine more towards the middle of the tank, also grows like crazy
Lime green Cyphastrea - same as Bling Bling... I've found the new growth to be purplish/brownish initially but it eventually colors up
Brick red Cyphastrea - I had this in low, partially shaded, light and wasn't seeing much progress so I recently moved it to an area that is still toward the bottom of the tank, but directly under the LEDs with nothing else shading it. Growth has really picked up, but the color in some areas have washed out a bit, so I may need to find another spot where the lighting is not quite as intense.

In my experience, if you are seeing the colors on established growth wash out then it is probably under too much light. For most of my cyphastreas, the new growth colors initially are fairly drab, but eventually the colors improve. Exceptions to that have been the Bling Bling, Mardi Gras (when under stronger light), and JF PPE.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back