Need Powerhead recommendation for Fluval EVO 13.5

SaltTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi .... built my Evo 13.5 with a SICCE Syncra Silent 0.5 return pump. I've been told that a wavemaker / powerhead is needed to maintain good flow in the tank. Im seeing that food settles on the substrate after 30-40 sec but that could be move of my placement of the two return outlets.

(1) what is a good a good recommendation for this tank that will not overpower it.
(2) do i need a powerhead or a wave maker
(3) should i put a random flow generator on the outlet(s) of the return pump

I'll have clownfish and coral in my tank.

Thanks

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you'll have enough flow out of the returns to see any benefit to using RFG nozzles. Check the website, but if I remember from my research into them, they required pretty high flow to be effective.

I would never put a reef tank together without some sort of wavemaker. A nero 3 would be perfect for your tank, and it's a quality product that won't break the bank.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RFG's are good and you should get one or two. I opted for two that fit on the stock lock line. Some people use open 3/4 as the 3/4 will connect to the main fitting coming out of the back wall.

I had the Hygger mini in mine and still seemed like too much flow on the lowest setting for the corals I have. I have since taken it out and was running the Sicce Silent .5 in the return with a Sicce Nano stream (270gph) that was good but didn't like not being able to control the wave pattern. I now have a Jebao SOW-3($55), this works great for what I have, however, I still can't get it to stop blowing my GSP on the back wall in one direction. If I place the pump on the back wall, it affects the corals I have on the opposite wall with constant flow. This is at the lowest setting. I'm still playing around with it and will also be moving some of my corals to another tank that I am starting up in two weeks.

I've also had the Jebao OW-10, SW-2 and SLW-10 and did not like how the blades stopped during the pulse mode.

OP
OP
S

SaltTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @aSaltyKlown I was looking at the Jebao SOW-3 but I've heard it is noisy. I hear a slight hum from my SICCE Syncra Silent 0.5 but it nothing overwhelming. Some of the reviews say SOW is noisy and you can hear when the pump cycles on an off? What has been your experience with the
SOW-3?

Attached is a pic of my tank ... how would you all advise I position the outlets for the return pump and where to initially place the wavemaker. And should the wavemaker be pointed straight or up towards the surface water?

Screen Shot 2021-12-18 at 18.46.12.png

tuco2018

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Nero 3 , I have it set up high for surface agitation , pointed at the front glass panel

Attachments

• CDCE59D9-35D6-407A-94B3-B031B39233DC.jpeg
    CDCE59D9-35D6-407A-94B3-B031B39233DC.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 229
  • 6AFD3CBE-06F2-4BE0-B3CC-9E22BFEF4C03.png
    6AFD3CBE-06F2-4BE0-B3CC-9E22BFEF4C03.png
    253.8 KB · Views: 279

Bombschell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too want to upgrade the stock return to the Sicce .5, I use the fluval C1 for a circ pump positioned under the intake grate. I had one of the Jebao but even on the lowest setting it looked like a tsunami.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have 2 Evos; both have a Sicce 0.5 and a single RFG.

I added a Aqamai KPS to my softie/LPS tank and it was too much flow. I removed it and and have gone back to just the return pump and I think it’s much better.

The second tank I’ve just converted as a trial for SPS so I put the Aqamai KPS in there and it’s fine.

So my personal preference is no wavemaker for softie/LPS and a small wavemaker for SPS.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put in the sicce 1.0 with two 1/4 in RFGs and a lot of locline for positioning. At max, the flow isn't impressive, but it's fair enough. I also have a MagTool Zksj wavemaker at the lowest setting, positioned high on the opposite wall.

I would imagine the Sicce 0.5 with 2 RFGs might be underwhelming, but perhaps a single would be perfect.

Don't put the wavemaker on the back wall with magnet in the AIO chambers unless you know the "dry side" magnet won't leech metals into your tank over time (Hygger, I think, is not waterproof on the outside magnet).

IMG_20211219_001523000_HDR.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sow-4 in my 5.5g and once it broke in and slimed up… it is silent now.

I have one in a 7g that is also silent.

I tried the KPS for awhile but that one actually had some noise… back to sow I went.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @aSaltyKlown I was looking at the Jebao SOW-3 but I've heard it is noisy. I hear a slight hum from my SICCE Syncra Silent 0.5 but it nothing overwhelming. Some of the reviews say SOW is noisy and you can hear when the pump cycles on an off? What has been your experience with the
SOW-3?

Attached is a pic of my tank ... how would you all advise I position the outlets for the return pump and where to initially place the wavemaker. And should the wavemaker be pointed straight or up towards the surface water?
It was a little loud the first few minutes. There is a very slight motor noise, but I have to be right next to it with no other noise around. It's a very slight whirring noise. As far as placement, it really doesn't matter until you have corals in and see how the flow effects them.

MontrealReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi .... built my Evo 13.5 with a SICCE Syncra Silent 0.5 return pump. I've been told that a wavemaker / powerhead is needed to maintain good flow in the tank. Im seeing that food settles on the substrate after 30-40 sec but that could be move of my placement of the two return outlets.

(1) what is a good a good recommendation for this tank that will not overpower it.
(2) do i need a powerhead or a wave maker
(3) should i put a random flow generator on the outlet(s) of the return pump

I'll have clownfish and coral in my tank.

Thanks
Hands down the Nero 3, you will be able to control the flow pattern and strength

Neko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Hygger 1600gph (3-25 gallon) in mine with reduced flow (80%). It's tiny good look and silent.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back