Need some advice

BlueExorcist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a used red sea reefer 250 a couple days ago. The tank is in awesome shape it's only a few months old there is no scratches or any type of defects. The only thing is that's it's pretty dirty, theres some green algae film on the glass and ALOT of dried coraline algae inside the overflow box and in the sump. I'm asking if theres any way to clean that out or if I even need to clean it out..? (Obviously I would clean the algae film off the glass) I'm mostly talking about the dried coraline algae. As you know the tank itself is very heavy and I definitely wouldn't want to turn it on its side or anything. Sorry for the long post but this is my first red sea tank and only my second saltwater tank I've ever had so I dont have the most knowledge about stuff like this any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar and water. Let it soak in that then scrub. It'll remove a good bit. You can use a shop vac to pull the water out if you don't wanna turn the tank sideways. Make sure to plug the bulkhead hole.

OP
OP
BlueExorcist

BlueExorcist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar and water. Let it soak in that then scrub. It'll remove a good bit. You can use a shop vac to pull the water out if you don't wanna turn the tank sideways. Make sure to plug the bulkhead holholes
So the vinegar wont hurt anything, like once you've gotten all the water/vinegar out and start filling the tank?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe get a bag of citric acid instead, usually in the shelves by the coffee machine cleaning stuff, a tank full of vinegar water in your living room doesn't smell all that nice

OP
OP
BlueExorcist

BlueExorcist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe get a bag of citric acid instead, usually in the shelves by the coffee machine cleaning stuff, a tank full of vinegar water in your living room doesn't smell all that nice
Do you have any advice on how to get the citric acid mix out of the tank after I clean it?

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't recommend cleaning the tank inside the house. I leak tested and cleaned our tank outside. Just in case. I don't trust the bulkhead covers that much. And if it's not plumbed, you run the risk of leaking around those pre drilled holes.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any advice on how to get the citric acid mix out of the tank after I clean it?
Siphoning with a tube, using a pump, shop vac as was already mentioned, rinsing with rodi, towels to get the stubborn rest, whatever feels easiest to you

Pump and long tube is convenient especially if a drain or door to the outside isn't all that close to the tank

OP
OP
BlueExorcist

BlueExorcist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What do you mean? Siphoning with a tube, using a pump, shop vac as was already mentioned, rinsing with rodi, towels to get the stubborn rest
I dont have a shop vac so I was wondering of other ways to drain the water idk why I didnt think of using the gravel vac to drain it lol

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can soak paper towels & they will stick to the glass where placed.
Vinegar will do just fine & a quick rinse will be OK. Many dose vinegar for nitrates.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 65 73.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back