need some advise vodka users

sarajo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing vodka for about 2 months now up to 4.5 mils as of today, what I'm seeing is the phosphates are starting to fall (used to be .06 to .10 to this afternoon they were at .02) My question is on my green slimer as my phosphates have been dropping this last week and half or so it has really lightened up its not near as green as it was, is this normal or should I be adding something else to bring back the color, other corals have lightened up to but not to the degree of the green slimer. Any advise or suggestions welcome

OP
OP
S

sarajo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will it just keep getting worse then? I was under the understanding that vodka dosing would bring out the colors as the phosphates went down?

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on AA. High phosphates will give you poor color on your SPS, but so will a lack of nutrients. Are you still ramping up your vodka dosing, or are you just using a maintenance dose at this point?

OP
OP
S

sarajo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do dose mb7 and I'm at 4.5 mils right now and its at .02 as of this afternoon, the way i read it, it says to keep dosing vodka until zero and then cut in half. when dosing AA's are you just adding phosphate back to the aquarium? or are they a different type of food for the corals, I have a couple real small patches of hair algea will the AA's make it worse?

OP
OP
S

sarajo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not dosing 4.5 mils of MB7 only about 1 mil aday the 4.5 is vodka

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do dose mb7 and I'm at 4.5 mils right now and its at .02 as of this afternoon, the way i read it, it says to keep dosing vodka until zero and then cut in half. when dosing AA's are you just adding phosphate back to the aquarium? or are they a different type of food for the corals, I have a couple real small patches of hair algea will the AA's make it worse?

You aren't adding phosphates to the tank, but any aminos that aren't consumed will lead to excess nutrients in the tank which could lead to an algae bloom. You're basically walking a fine line of too much or too little in an attempt to find the sweet spot. I would try to manually remove as much of the HA as possible because it will thrive with the aminos. Do you have any tangs that will pick at the HA to keep it under control?

patent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will it just keep getting worse then? I was under the understanding that vodka dosing would bring out the colors as the phosphates went down?

Only up to a point, the corals need some phosphates. If you truly drop to zero and stay there your corals will lose their Zooxanthellae as they need the phosphates.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only up to a point, the corals need some phosphates. If you truly drop to zero and stay there your corals will lose their Zooxanthellae as they need the phosphates.

Isn't .03 where you want to be with Phosphates?

FYI - This is testing with a Hanna Phosphate meter and not a standard test kit which can't really read below that level.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't trust the hanna either!!!!! just watch your corals they will let you know when there happy.. light pastel colors means there starving a nice rich deep color is what you want no matter if the po4 is at .01 or .09 they will tell ya when there happy...;)

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't trust the hanna either!!!!! just watch your corals they will let you know when there happy.. light pastel colors means there starving a nice rich deep color is what you want no matter if the po4 is at .01 or .09 they will tell ya when there happy...;)

+1, keep and eye on your corals and adjust your dosing acordingly. It can be a fine balance sometimes when one coral looks light and others are looking good. Sometimes you have to play with placement also. Just go slow and dont do anything drastic and you'll find your sweet spot.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There's 2 Hanna products out there ...

Agreed, watch your corals closely and they will let you know ;)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back