Need some big brain ideas.

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I had this older-style Marineland 1140 in my sump just to move water in my bio-ball chamber. No clue how I even got my hands on it or how old it is, but it stopped pushing water one day and I took it out of my sump and set it next to it. Tonight I tried to fix it and took it apart and found this... :) *** SO ANGRY. So if you check my recent threads I have been PERFECTING my tank in all aspects of water, light, flow, and reducing algae with it being 3 months old only. Now, I'm to the conclusion this point of sale has busted open and exposed the magnet to the water for god knows how long and has been leaching heavy metals into my water which would in turn not make any of my "indestructible" corals happy that had been previously happy and thinking back to it they kinda stopped being happy a little while before it stopped working, but maybe it had cracked then and I didn't account for this... Not sure what to even ask for maybe use this as a note to self in the future to check ALL equipment especially if you don't know how old it is... If you were in my situation what would you do? Already thinking about ICP test but the tank is new and being it's new I'm still broke from setting it all up. However, it's a 55-gallon tank 65-gallon all together system. What metal do you think that propellor could be made of? How would you attempt to pull whatever it has leached out of the water? Crying on the inside on the fine Friday night... Also, you can see the magnet part has shards of metal as you would see out of a science experiment with a bagee and like sand, So I know it has leached at least what is attached to the propeller into the water column.
IMG_2681.jpg
IMG_2682.jpg
IMG_2683.jpg
IMG_2686.jpg

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think its 100% metal/iron, since they crack if dropped....maybe a ferrous type...I'm thinking a carbon mixture of some sort.....

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a bit odd, because those pumps use ferrite magnets which don't have the same reputation of leaching harsh metals into the tank like neodymium magnets do when they touch water.

Best approach is to grab some metasorb to pull out any heavy metals.
is that a solution or what is it?

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@FUNGI @Sisterlimonpot I am not 100% it has leached maybe I caught it in time, but I'm struggling with all my corals like they are id say 50% so it could be it but some have started coming around with more time, which could be more water changes pulling this stuff out of the water, but un sure.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.3%
Back