Need some feedback on my plumbing and manifold layout

jeffberens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping I researched enough and copied the members on here that know what they are doing more than myself.

I built a manifold modified from Broadfield's build because I needed room to include the Apex flow sensors. I had to rework the layout and I'm hoping there aren't any major design flaws.

Any gurus out there want to chime in and see if I am on the right track? I'm really trying to do this right.
20170317_211924.jpg

Here are a couple more images to make it a little more obvious what I did:
20170317_204811.jpg

20170317_212002.jpg

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Can see you really worked hard on it and took the time to do it right!

OP
OP
jeffberens

jeffberens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks great! Can see you really worked hard on it and took the time to do it right!

Thanks for the compliments! I'm trying to step up my game after being out of the hobby for 6 years. After seeing some of the builds like Broadfield and others, I was inspired to take my time and make it something I can be proud to show off.

We'll see if I can keep it that way.

OP
OP
jeffberens

jeffberens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump.jpg

Here is a little better picture now that I have some light in the sump area
Reactors.jpg

And a close-up of my reactors. I had to learn how to bend PVC to do these and the "U" feeding the return.

OP
OP
jeffberens

jeffberens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet set up.
Care to share how you bent the PVC?

I used a heat gun to slowly heat up the area of the pipe that I needed to bend and used a spring that fit the inside diameter of the pipe to slip in to maintain the integrity of the pipe as I bent it. Then I simply let it cool and pulled out the spring.

I did practice on a few pieces of basic white PVC before I started bending my blue colored stuff. I also screwed up a few pieces because I was trying to do a few complex bends which was not so easy. If you search for PVC bending with spring on Youtube, you will find numerous methods including heated sand and expensive gear to heat up entire pieces of pvc to the point that you can bend it however you want. I just wanted to eliminate some fittings to hopefully keep head pressure down and have it look cool at the same time.

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a heat gun to slowly heat up the area of the pipe that I needed to bend and used a spring that fit the inside diameter of the pipe to slip in to maintain the integrity of the pipe as I bent it. Then I simply let it cool and pulled out the spring.

I did practice on a few pieces of basic white PVC before I started bending my blue colored stuff. I also screwed up a few pieces because I was trying to do a few complex bends which was not so easy. If you search for PVC bending with spring on Youtube, you will find numerous methods including heated sand and expensive gear to heat up entire pieces of pvc to the point that you can bend it however you want. I just wanted to eliminate some fittings to hopefully keep head pressure down and have it look cool at the same time.

Thanks for the input. Now I have some more planning to do..:)

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic work, thought about bending pvc myself and was looking at a pvc bender ($300). I like the spring idea, MUCH less work than the sand and far less messy.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back