sump plumbing advice

reefer_madness69420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Fijicube 108g EXT aquarium and it is my first time plumbing an aquarium. The attached image has their recommended plumbing layout. I was thinking of adding unions and ball valves at the indicated positions. can y'all give some input on their proposed layout and the additions I'm thinking of? My feeling is that there are a lot of 90 degree turns but I'm not sure how much that matters and I reckon it is probably harder to plumb with 45 degree elbows.

Screen Shot 2023-12-15 at 12.18.20 PM.png

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Fijicube 108g EXT aquarium and it is my first time plumbing an aquarium. The attached image has their recommended plumbing layout. I was thinking of adding unions and ball valves at the indicated positions. can y'all give some input on their proposed layout and the additions I'm thinking of? My feeling is that there are a lot of 90 degree turns but I'm not sure how much that matters and I reckon it is probably harder to plumb with 45 degree elbows.

Screen Shot 2023-12-15 at 12.18.20 PM.png
The diagram already has unions and a valve...

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at it, I'm honestly not sure why they have so many unions... Lol.

The purpose of a union is to make it possible to disassemble the plumbing if needed.

The 90 degree turns are not a problem.

The only place you want a valve (gate, not ball) is on the main (full siphon) drain.

(Unions marked blue lines, gate valve circled)
Screenshot_20231215-214453~2.png

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, inside the stand. I know there were already unions in the schematic, but I was wondering if alternate positions would make disassembly easier if necessary. Thanks.
Yes.
The three you have in red under the overflow box will make it easier to remove the box for cleaning and disassembly of entire thing at a later date.

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reason to add ball valves to the return lines; adjust the return pump pressure instead to accomplish the same thing. Unless you’re talking about for the sake of minimizing flow during planned power outages (cleaning) in which case I’d sooner rely on Y check valves which do the same thing amidst unplanned power outages as well?

Also, pretty sure gate valves are generally much more desirable than ball valves in general. But also, is there some sorta union with a built in valve? Not aware of those existing?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The drain system is all setup, except if you really wanted to be really proactive, the extra unions just below the overflow box could ( maybe) help in a future tear down.

I might be tempted to add a pair of gate valves to the two return lines to help balance the flow between them.
Plus again if you really wanted to aid in a future tear down adding unions to the two lines might help.
But if this tank setup is anything like mine, one side of the back of the tank is nearly inaccessible, so I would put the unions up near the top of the returns and the valves down low where they can be reached easier.

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a ball valve, yes. But gates are better for this application.
Can you send me a link? As you might have seen I’ve currently got my own thread open on the topic of plumbing (and another soon to come). Currently trying to absorb all the knowledge I can on the subject.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you send me a link? As you might have seen I’ve currently got my own thread open on the topic of plumbing (and another soon to come). Currently trying to absorb all the knowledge I can on the subject.
You really don't want a ball valve unless it's just for all open or all closed... Just Google "ball valve union PVC". Add "spears" if you want good quality.

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be tempted to add a pair of gate valves to the two return lines to help balance the flow between them.
This is a REALLY interesting quote for me.

I’m not sure if its been specified yet, is this system meant to run off one return pump split, or two separate return pumps?

In the context of two pumps for two separate lines, why do you need to “balance” flow between them?

I’m looking at maybe doing two returns accomplishing ~150gph between the both, running one at like 100gph for the primary flow and the other at like ~50gph for a UV sterilizer. Would there be anything problematic about this uneven split?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This is a REALLY interesting quote for me.

I’m not sure if its been specified yet, is this system meant to run off one return pump split, or two separate return pumps?

In the context of two pumps for two separate lines, why do you need to “balance” flow between them?

I’m looking at maybe doing two returns accomplishing ~150gph between the both, running one at like 100gph for the primary flow and the other at like ~50gph for a UV sterilizer. Would there be anything problematic about this uneven split?
It looks to me as if there is only one line coming out of the sump going to a tee with the return going to the two sides. It looks fairly balanced ( equal distances between inlets into the tank), but I might still valves, especially if a ac pump is used to control return flow.
If 2 pumps are used and they are ac pumps, then I would still probably add valves to have on each if needed.
IMO better to add before, than to not do it and need it later.
Just speculating though.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I don't see any atm.
Seems like pretty low flow.

MantisShrimpMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any atm.
Seems like pretty low flow.
In a higher flow situation, would that change your attitude on a need to balance it?

I’ve heard 3-5x sump turnover suggested, and I’m looking at a 30 gallon DT. I was originally assuming I’d need over 10x turnover, so like 350-400gph, but isn’t that too much?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
In a higher flow situation, would that change your attitude on a need to balance it?

I’ve heard 3-5x sump turnover suggested, and I’m looking at a 30 gallon DT. I was originally assuming I’d need over 10x turnover, so like 350-400gph, but isn’t that too much?
As soon as I hit "post reply" it dawned on me it would be a smaller tank.
So yeah I'd shoot for 5x to 6x on that size tank. 10x is more than what I would want.
I guess it also depends on how much the overflow can handle.

As far as balancing the dual returns, it's not really needed. Just something I might go for.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back