Need some help advice choosing LED for my 72x24x24 tank

Zatai41

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

For a 180gallon mixed reef (60-70% SPS) 72x24x24 , with the Aquaticlife 60" hybrid ( 2 blue+,1 atinic,1 aquablue spec).

What LED fixtures do you think will be a good fit ? ( I do slightly prefer one of the other but having 2nd toughts when I am @ the sore...)
2X Kessil AP700
or
2X AI Hydra Fifty Two

Thanks

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

For a 180gallon mixed reef (60-70% SPS) 72x24x24 , with the Aquaticlife 60" hybrid ( 2 blue+,1 atinic,1 aquablue spec).

What LED fixtures do you think will be a good fit ? ( I do slightly prefer one of the other but having 2nd toughts when I am @ the sore...)
2X Kessil AP700
or
2X AI Hydra Fifty Two

Thanks
Kessil AP700 gets my vote! Ran the aquatic life with an ap700 and loved it :)

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

2X Kessil AP700
or
2X AI Hydra Fifty Two

Thanks
If I am stuck to deciding on only those options, I would absolutely choose the Kessil.

But thinking outside the box I would also strongly consider 4 - AI Hydra 26HD (lower price than the two Kessils) or even better yet, 4 Ecotech Marine XR15 Pros (same price as the two Kessils. Neither 2 AI Hydra 52s not Radion XR30's will get you the spread you desire.

Last edited:

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of putting together a large tank. I am leaning towards two ap700 paired with an Aquatic Life Hybrid fixture. Have you looked at those fixtures? I think it is a great combo if you can afford an extra $404...on sale at BRS right now. If you just get one of the two lights you mentioned, I think the ap700 will give you more power and options regarding what corals to keep.

OP
OP
Z

Zatai41

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input guys ,
I think Ill stick with 2X Kessil AP700,
I did consider AI 26HD x4 or 360WE x4 before leaning toward two AP700's : Ap700 should be able to cover 36x24 (x2) with T5 supplement & I liked the idea of having 2 less cords.

Thanks again !

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are probably going to need 3 of either one of those... to use two, you have to raise it so far up, that the T5s will dissipate too much and you want them to do the heavy lifting.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are probably going to need 3 of either one of those... to use two, you have to raise it so far up, that the T5s will dissipate too much and you want them to do the heavy lifting.
Two AP700s would be more than enough for 72 inches ;)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 6 or 8 inches off of the water where the T5s need to be? The only ones that I have seen spread 36" are up 15-18 inches off of the tank.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 6 or 8 inches off of the water where the T5s need to be? The only ones that I have seen spread 36" are up 15-18 inches off of the tank.
A single AP700 is recommended at a mounting height of 7 to 8 inches for a 36 inch spread, for a 48 inch spread its recommended mounting height is 15-17 inches. So at 72 inches, two AP700's mounted at around 8 inches would cover that tank :) I had a single AP700 over my 40 breeder which is 36 inches and it covered it very nicely :)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose that the T5s will help coverage on the ends, but the only guy that I personally know who still uses AP700 is ready to add a fourth to his 6' tank since he hates the shadows - he does have large colonies. 24" is pushing it for him. For all transparency, I have not used them, so take that FWIW. You all should know by now that I laugh at LED manufacturers recommendations, so I am doooochie that way.

Will SBs fit? For a SPS tank, it is better if the T5s do the heavy lifting, so I would not spend too much on LEDs. Three SBs would have better coverage and cost less.

This is how it mostly goes... people use a hybrid thinking that they are getting "the best of both worlds." Then, they figure out that the T5s are what is pulling the train, or they never think twice about anything. If you never think twice, then why spend so much on AI or Kessil? If they figure out that the T5s are doing the heavy lifting then they usually dump the LEDs for more T5 or even wonder what will happen if they get some MH - investing fully instead of riding two horses with one ****. In either case, expensive LEDs might not be necessary.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never understood the use of 2lights. I know WHY people do it, but it just does t make sense to me. In my mind either use enough t5 or enough led units.
I can see it with halides and led strips or single t5 for an extended viewing time, but I guess my thinking if leds could do all the work then why add t5? Sort of like jda says, let one do all the lifting.

But again, I’ve never used led and t5 combo. Halides all day here!!

Corey

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never understood the use of 2lights. I know WHY people do it, but it just does t make sense to me. In my mind either use enough t5 or enough led units.
I can see it with halides and led strips or single t5 for an extended viewing time, but I guess my thinking if leds could do all the work then why add t5? Sort of like jda says, let one do all the lifting.

But again, I’ve never used led and t5 combo. Halides all day here!!

Corey
I'm currently running a halide and t5 hybrid, and I have to say I'm really enjoying it :)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People get mad at my thoughts about this... but "best of both worlds" ends up being "worst of both worlds." You can see it everyday examples if you look hard enough... Hannah Montana thought that she could be a pop star and normal kid, but her normal kid activities kept her career from going to the next level and her pop stardom cost her friendships (can you tell that I have 5 daughters). Having 2 QBs where one passes and one throws is like having none. Electric-Gas Hybrid cars are neither as long lasting as a gas car, nor as powerful and fun as a Tesla. There are people who get this paradigm and go all-in, and then there are people who do not. Pick one and go all-in - most of the best people who are good at life will do this.

Supplementing is different, IMO. Having a ReefBrite along with your Halides or T5 is not the same as "best of both worlds" since they are not doing nearly equal duty. This is the same as having T5 on with MH. Having two different things perform "equal" tasks will keep you from being good at either, IMO.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People get mad at my thoughts about this... but "best of both worlds" ends up being "worst of both worlds." You can see it everyday examples if you look hard enough... Hannah Montana thought that she could be a pop star and normal kid, but her normal kid activities kept her career from going to the next level and her pop stardom cost her friendships (can you tell that I have 5 daughters). Having 2 QBs where one passes and one throws is like having none. Electric-Gas Hybrid cars are neither as long lasting as a gas car, nor as powerful and fun as a Tesla. There are people who get this paradigm and go all-in, and then there are people who do not. Pick one and go all-in - most of the best people who are good at life will do this.

Supplementing is different, IMO. Having a ReefBrite along with your Halides or T5 is not the same as "best of both worlds" since they are not doing nearly equal duty. This is the same as having T5 on with MH. Having two different things perform "equal" tasks will keep you from being good at either, IMO.
Not mad at all, it's your opinion and you're 100% entitled to it :) Bonus points for the hannah montana reference lol

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very similar size tank, it is 6'x2'x2' but it is a bow front. If you already have the T5 fixture then I would recommend a less expensive option. I have been running the Galaxyhydros (Chinese black box) lights for two years. I have three mounted 10" over my tank, and that is definitely enough. The blues are currently at 40% and whites are at 30%. Things are doing well. The only thing I want to add is a supplemental T5 fixture. With all LEDs you get a spotlight effect, even with diffusers. I feel adding T5s to LEDs is the way to go.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I have no doubts that they can work and do look good, I personally don’t see the point in trying to get 2 forms of lighting to do equal work. I do see how they compliment each other though.
I just find it interesting to see someone say “leds grow my coral better than any light I’ve used.” Then you read it and and it’s 6 t5bulbs and a single black box over a 40gallon breeder. In that scenario I’m guessing g the t5 are doing a bulk of the work. Now I’m NOT saying leds can’t grow-Sanjay has proven us all wrong on that.

Corey

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manufactures recommendations sucks!! They are always exaggerated in
My opinion way off always, T5s will be closer to the water than LEDs keep that in mind you will loose a lot of spread from the Leds, if your doing a T5 LED combo best bet is getting individual cluster like the XR15 of the hydras which will give you the option of spreading them to your liking. Just my 2 cents currently have XR30 on my 75g standar dimensions wish i would have listened to my friend, my rock work makes it a bit hard to get great center lighting and equivalent side spread I do feel the edges are a bit on the darker side maybe my eyes playing tricks on me ‍♂️

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back