Need some help advice choosing LED for my 72x24x24 tank

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running a Kessil t5 hybrid and have been for 2 years. I have been happier with it than any other light I have tried. IMO I have used halides t5s and LEDs and they all have different strengths.

Halides
Grow coral faster than any other light I have ever used and look great.

T5s
Eliminate shadows and produce the widest variety of coral colors. Overall grow the most attractive corals

LEDs
The esthetics of LEDs are amazing I love the shimmer from kessils in particular. The blue pop and ability to change the color to whatever you want and even change it at different times of the day so you can enjoy the tank in different ways is amazing.

You can say you don’t get the best of both worlds with the hybrid. But, since adding t5s to my kessils my corals are more attractive shapes and colors but I can still adjust the color with the kessils and enjoy the royal blue. I really don’t know what else I would hope to get. On my next tank I want kessils t5s and halides just to try it.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running a Kessil t5 hybrid and have been for 2 years. I have been happier with it than any other light I have tried. IMO I have used halides t5s and LEDs and they all have different strengths.

Halides
Grow coral faster than any other light I have ever used and look great.

T5s
Eliminate shadows and produce the widest variety of coral colors. Overall grow the most attractive corals

LEDs
The esthetics of LEDs are amazing I love the shimmer from kessils in particular. The blue pop and ability to change the color to whatever you want and even change it at different times of the day so you can enjoy the tank in different ways is amazing.

You can say you don’t get the best of both worlds with the hybrid. But, since adding t5s to my kessils my corals are more attractive shapes and colors but I can still adjust the color with the kessils and enjoy the royal blue. I really don’t know what else I would hope to get. On my next tank I want kessils t5s and halides just to try it.

Absolutely agree with all the points here, even the Frankenstein 3 light combo.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don't know anyone who runs halides... guess at 45 I'm too young! LOL

Anyway, I've seen tanks with just Radions, I've seen tanks with black boxes, I've seen tanks with combo's and tanks with just T5s... all grow corals if the tanks are stable and well maintained.

I run a combo now... hopefully they grow corals well soon.

Crimson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am stuck to deciding on only those options, I would absolutely choose the Kessil.

But thinking outside the box I would also strongly consider 4 - AI Hydra 26HD (lower price than the two Kessils) or even better yet, 4 Ecotech Marine XR15 Pros (same price as the two Kessils. Neither 2 AI Hydra 52s not Radion XR30's will get you the spread you desire.

You have a serious bromance with Ecotech lol. I seen some of your other posts, I am starting to think the cupid arrow that hit you was made by Ecotech Marine. I could only imagine if you lived close to them like I do (their HQ is hour from me).

I digress, another vote for Kessil. Also, it was smart to include t5's in your planning.

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3X Hydra 52 over my 180. I've had them for at least 4 years, got the upgrade kit when they were available for my AI Sol blues. I could not be happier with the dimmer control through the Apex module. I even have the color temperature change throughout the day. The color on these guys is so good, and so adjustable, I don't see why you would want t5's too.

jcherepo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to look into Reef Breeders. I run 2 32” V2 and am very happy with them. Heavy dominated SPS tank and things are going well.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 128 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back